Ch.7 Campaign to win his heart

"Are we going to talk about the weather? It's chilly today. Like any other winter in London," teases Connor.

Tess looks downward. Connor is a good guy. He is quite a handsome man. He has a good job, a good reputation. She is a lucky woman to be his fiancee.

(I don't love you. I wish I could. But I don't...)

"It's about Ducane, isn't it? You're in love with him," says him.

She looks shocked.

Connor chuckles a little. And he adds, "I knew it from the start. Whenever we spoke of him, your face would be brighten. Just thought I might have a chance..."

"I'm sorry. I'm such a fool," apologizes her.

"I agree. Ducane is just a lousy crook."

Tess looks downward to her boots.

"I'm just joking. Tess, I'm sorry too. I can't marry you. Not while your heart belong to him," apologizes Connor.

"I know. I wished I could love you," says her.

"Lyons would be an excellent prosecutor. Change his mind. We need him in the side of law, "says Connor.

"A prosecutor? Just like you?" asks her puzzled.

"Yes. He is wasting his talents by being a lousy solicitor. Defending crooks with money," says Connor while staring to the gloomy polluted sky.

It's too chilly outdoors. No one is in Hyde Park right now.

Connor stares her and kisses her lips one last time.

And he apologizes, "I'm sorry it didn't make out in the end."

"I'm the one to blame. Not you," says her.

"Let me take you home one last time," offers him.

"Thank you."

That day they parted like old friends.

*****

"Back to square one. I'm single again. With no prospect of marrying anytime soon. What should I do, sugar?" asks her.

The squirrel makes a growling sound.

"No, no more stress eating. I would get fat like a balloon. I ask you how to flirt him?" asks her.

This time Sugar makes a weird sound. As if it's laughing.

"Oh, you are a cruel pet! You laugh at my miseries, don't you?" scolds her.

"Oh! This is useless! How could I flirt him? He doesn't want me..."

Tess sits on her bed.

(Wished my sisters were here. Jane would be somewhere in the world. And Sophia is in countryside. Oh, Lyons. What should I do with you?)

A knock on the door. And a man opens the door slightly. He asks angrily, "Why aren't you eating properly?"

(Lyons. Whenever I thought of him, he always popped out of nowhere. Is it coincidence? Or fate?)

Lyons looks another way.

Tess is sitting on her bed. It gives him weird thought. Like he should join her. And they way better naked.

"I better go," says him immediately.

"Wait!"

He stops abruptly.

"Won't you spend more time with me? I'm lonely..." pleads her.

(God! If it was another girl, I would have pushed her down. Right here, right now. But I knew her too well. She didn't mean to seduce me. She's lonely. That's all. I'm just happened to be here...)

Lyons coughs once. Then he says, "We better talk outside. I will be waiting in the yellow sitting room."

"Okay..."

Tess inhales a deep breath.

And she stares to the mirror.

(I blew it. It was so easy in the novel. The lady said those words. And she earned a kiss. I'm a loser in love. How could I earn his love? I love him. Someone helps me).

Tess tidies her hair before she goes out of her room.

*****

"And you just threw me a mud pie," complaints Tess.

"I had to. Bones would kill me if I didn't. It's your own fault. You told his mom that he stole the pie from the bakery."

Tess says, "Mrs. Jones asked and I replied. I did nothing wrong."

"Always  a saint, Tess."

"I'm no saint," mumbles her.

A scream from the kitchen.

Tess walks out of the sitting room. The door has been left open for courtesy. And a chef is holding a butcher knife. Ready to kill her pet.

"Wait! That's mine!" yells her.

"It ruined my cake! I'm going to chop it to pieces!"

"You can't hurt Sugar!"

"Girls, girls, relax!"

Lyons says, "Your pudding is simply to die for, Mrs. Jones. I can't wait to taste it again."

Mrs.Jones grumbles, "I have an excellent cake earlier, Sir. But this beast claimed it first."

"Sugar is a squirrel!" protests Tess.

Lyons hushes her. He whispers, "Let me handle this, okay. Take Sugar back to your room."

Lyons leads the angry chef away. Showering her with praises about her cooking until she's brimming proudly.

Tess sighs.

She scolds Sugar, "See! You almost got killed for a lousy cake."

The squirrel makes a whimpering noise like a dog usually does. It climbs up to her shoulder.

Tess smiles a little.

Lyons has got back. And he seems amused. He informs, "You got some cream on your cheek...here..."

He wipes the cream with his finger and licks it. Tess shudders a bit. Not fear. She never feared him. But his touch seems to burn her a little.

Felt a bit hot.

(Lust in her eyes. Or maybe it's just something I hoped. Never wanted a woman like this. She isn't mine. Would never be mine. I mustn't...)

Lyons takes a step back while saying, "Your pet here thinks he is a dog."

"He is amazing! I never know a squirrel could make such noises!" replies her cheerfully.

"Not ordinary squirrel. It's an exotic creature from Australia. Sugar glider is the correct name."

They spent more times chatting about the weather, exotic pets and tons.

---------------------------------------------------------
Sugar glider (Petaurus Breviceps)
A flying squirrel from Australia. It could fly as far as 50meters. It lives in a group of 10-15 squirrels.

Foods: bugs, lizard, tree sap, honey, seeds, bird egg, mushrooms and fruits.

----------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thanks:)