Ch.13 Assassin for him

Bern would be busy in his office all day long. Sophia doesn't want to bother him. So she spent her day at the attic. Sorting old stuffs.

Sometimes she found something interesting like old clothes  that could be used in a costume party. Or souvenirs from India such as small elephant statues.

She found that magic dagger again. She decided to keep it. Maybe for Christmas time when she could do pranks to Lyons.

Jane would be back in next spring. It seems there has been accident. And the couple has stayed in Egypt for a while.

Sophia washes her face and goes to Bern's office. It's almost lunch time. She wants to have lunch with him together.

Suddenly a man appears behind her and pushes her into the office.

It's him, the uncle, Richard Grover.

Bern is speechless. His uncle has come for money again. And he has rejected him a bit rudely this time.

Now Grover is pointing a knife to Sophia.

Grover says, "Everything should have been mine. You shouldn't have been born."

Sophia asks nervously, "You did it? Planning his assassination?"

"Yes. I want him dead."

Sophia asks, "Peter?"

"Gave him booze and took him there. Need a scapegoat if something turned  wrong."

Like all villains, he boasted his clever schemes to them.

Sophia asks, "You saved Bern's life?"

"I had to. Brother of mine had been suspicious. Can't kill him if I got locked in jail, can I?"

Bern kept approaching them when his uncle kept speaking.

His uncle orders, "Not so close, nephew. Or I'll stab your pretty wife. I want my money. All of them. Take the family jewelries too from your safe. Now!"

Bern doesn't move an inch. Only staring Grover with murderous intent.

Sophia's hand reaches to her pocket.

And she stabs herself with a dagger. Blood is oozing out from her wound.

"Stupid wench!" curses Grover.

He got distracted and too late to dodge from Bern's jab.

Knocked out easily.

Bern hugs Sophia. He kept growling like a wild animal. Sophia smiles to him.

She says, "I'm okay. Your dagger saved me."

She shows the magic dagger to him.

Sophia says, "I love this dress. Now it's ruined..."

Bern chuckles. He is ready to buy tons new dresses for her as long she's alive and happy.

He stares to the unconscious uncle. Finally his nightmare is over. No more assassin for him.

*****

Lyons says, "I know it's him. Had been trying to gather evidences against him. Never thought he would act so soon. Sophia, Your Grace, I promise you, Grover would be hang in a week."

Sophia says, "I'm just glad it's over ..."

Bern kisses her head.

Lyons rises and gives signal to a runner to take the villain away.

Richard Grover yells, "You're that devil advocate, aren't you? Free me in court! And you shall be rich!"

Lyons grabs his collar and stares him in his eyes.

He mocks, "Burned the manor and caused the late Duchess' death. Killed the late Duke. And several assassination attempts to the present Duke. Even the Lord above can't save you now. I never take a case I couldn't win."

He pushes him away in disgust.

Lyons orders, "Take this buffoon away before I strangle him to death."

Lyons glances at the newlyweds one last time before he leaves that spot.

They are smiling to each others. Sophia looks so happy even when her husband is a mute man.

The Duke couldn't flirt her by words. Lately he has bought several flirting cards from King Crab co. The words imprinted could easily swoon any lady.

Lyons leaves the manor on foot. He needs the long walk to clear his mind.

£ 1,000.

He needs the money.

All he has to do is find a decent suitor for Tess. And it's all over. Everyone would be happy. Including him.

Tess deserves a good husband. Someone who could love her back. Not an arrogant nobleman who would take mistress behind her back.

From all the sisters, he felt heavier responsibilities with Tess. Maybe because she's his childhood friend.

Lyons says to himself, "I want her to be happy. That's all. To make amends for my stupid pranks in the past."

Tess was always a calm girl. The only time she looked energetic and alive was when she's retaliated to him.

Lyons decides to go to Dallas gym to do some exercises.

"I have to find her a good husband. Must do it. Oh, God! Why I felt like walking toward a guillotine?" asks him to himself.

*****

Sophia asks Bern, "Lyons looks gloomy today. Do you think he would realize his feelings for Tess?"

Bern writes, "A foolish man."

He has been trying hard to write more neatly lately. And his hand writings have improved a little.

"I agree. I just hope they would realize their feelings before it's too late. Jane and I don't need the dowry money. We only wish Tess to be happy."

Jane has married a rich nobleman. Bern is quite a rich guy too.

Sophia asks, "Maybe Lyons is afraid? He isn't exactly a rich guy. But don't think Tess would mind at all. Oh, I just hope I could do something for them..."

Bern is silent.

Sophia smiles to him. With another guy, she always felt shy and nervous. With him, she always felt comfortable.

Can't explain it well.

Her heart just know he's the one for her. She's lucky he felt the same way. Not everyone is blessed that the man she loves would love her back.

Bern writes, "Show me you love me."

Sophia looks surprised.

She asks, "Now? But the servants are preparing our breakfast. The food would get cold..."

Bern writes, "Eat you first."

He lifts her up easily and carries her to their bedroom. Sophia smiles widely.

Guess breakfast would have to wait.

---------------------The End----------------------

Thanks for reading The Silent Duke.

Don't forget to vote and comment:)

Next story would be Tess' story.