Ch.6 Hidden agenda

Sophia found an old music box in one of the chests. It still works. The beautiful melodies fill the gloomy attic.

Bern is watching her without her knowledge. She is dancing according to the music.

(She's a very good dancer. Danced like a true lady. Could it be? A lady? But...a lady wouldn't like cleaning and dusting...maybe she worked for a lady once).

Bern just stands there, watching her like a predator eyeing it's prey.

"Oh, Your Grace. You're here. I'm sorry. I shall finish the dusting."

Bern grabs her waist and they begin to dance. She's a good dancer, light feet, like a feather in his arms.

(It's wrong thinking about my Master like this. But I love dancing with him. Swoon...No man have ever made me felt this way. I know it for sure in my heart).

Sophia follows his lead easily. One thing she knows about herself. She loves singing and dancing.

*****

Another day, another dusting and cleaning.

Today she's cleaning his bedroom. Singing while dusting.

A happy maid.

Bern stares to his bed.

A naked happy maid in bed.

His bed.

He shakes his head.

It's wrong wanting his savior sexually. She's innocent. A virgin. He could easily tell it.

She saved her life. Hurt her head and lost her memories. He couldn't repay her by taking her virginity too. For a woman, it's her sacred treasure.

No, his bedroom shall be off limit.

No more dusting in here. Better stay away from bed.

He makes a gesture to move outside. Leaving the bedroom, to clear his lust. Sophia doesn't know he almost lifts her skirt literally.

*****

Sophia has seen that man again. Old Josephine doesn't like that middle aged man. The Duke's uncle. He always comes here to borrow money from the Duke.

Bern grunts.

Lately his uncle has been borrowing money too often. His manager has calculated he has borrowed almost £3,000. And never paid him back.
Not a single cent.

Sophia is cleaning his office when his uncle arrives.

"Nephew, I needed your assistance again. Not much. Only £500. I need to..."

Bern writes immediately, "I'm sorry, uncle. I'm afraid I couldn't lend you anymore money. Not until you repay your debts."

His uncle looks insulted.

He asks, "Don't you remember, Your Grace? I saved your life. You would die in the slum without me."

Sophia gasps. But the older man completely ignores her presence.

Bern writes, "I have lent you money around £3,000, uncle. No interest at all. But money doesn't grow in trees."

"Without me, you would never have so much money in the first place. All shall be mine."

Bern squints his eyes. He looks like a dangerous man. Maybe his uncle feels it too.

His tone is softened when he asks, "Please, nephew. I know you have the money..."

"This is the last one, uncle."

That was what the Duke wrote in a piece of paper.

Bern writes a check £500 for his uncle.

"Thanks. I hope this is the last time I had to ask money from you. If I succeeded, I won't beg from you again, nephew."

Something in his cold tone sent shivers to Sophia's spine. Like a bad omen.

His uncle has left the office. Bern grunts angrily.

(I know I owed him my life. It doesn't mean he could be a leech. Kept sucking away my wealth. I had to postpone few estates' repairs because there's no sufficient fund).

Bern looks tired. He closes his eyes. As usual, Sophia is humming again when she's sweeping the floor. The Duke got drifted to the dream world soon enough.

*****

Bern has gone riding, checking his estates. Some thugs block his path when he is riding home in the afternoon. All of them are holding swords.

Bern draws his swords. He is no coward. He fights them on his horseback like a brave cavalier officer. Killed three men. The others escaped.

They thought he's an easy target because he is a mute man. Can't yell for help.

Sophia gasps when the Duke got home bleeding. She quickly runs to fetch first aid kits.

"What happened?" asks her.

He only shakes his head. The old maid, Josephine helps her to clean his wounds. He got many old scars on his back and chest.

Josephine asks, "It began again, Your Grace? Thugs are trying to kill you again?"

Bern stares her angrily so she would shut up.

Sophia asks worriedly, "Trying to kill him?"

"In certain intervals, evil men kept trying to kill him. Your Grace is lucky to be alive," explains her.

Sophia asks, "What about the runners?"

"Found nothing. Your Grace had asked them to investigate once."

Bern grunts after they finishes putting bandages on his wounds.

His fight begins again. Always the same. Fighting invisible foes. Wanting his life. He never insulted anybody. He is practically a hermit. Never joined the ton.

(Who would want my death?)

Bern lies down on his bed.

Sophia doesn't leave his room. She is staring to a large sandbag in a corner of this room.

(No wonder he trained so hard to be a good fighter. His life depended on his abilities to fight).

Bern has fallen asleep. Sophia touches his forehead. A bit fever. She goes to find a bucket of water and a clean cloth. To compress his forehead.

She stays with him all night long. The door is kept open. Sophia knew it's impolite to stay in one room with a man with closed door. She remembers the rules in society. Yet, she doesn't remember her name or family.

Whenever the Duke needs her, she would be able to assist him. Giving him water or feeding his some soup.

------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to vote and comment :)