8: Freed

Skye

I immediately told my mom about the car when I got home. She scolded me on how my phone didn't come to a use after.. I haven't thought of that either, have I? Gosh, I'm so stupid. Now I know why Melissa hates me sometimes..

"You could've called me and then I would've go there and bring you fuel.. For Pete's sake Skye.. Your phone isn't just an accessory, okay?" My mom pointed out. "Okay, okay.. Calm down mom, and oh, I have to discuss something with you mom.." I should tell her that I offered Melissa to live with us.

"Yes honey, what is it?" She replied, filling up the car. "I might have offered Melissa to live with us.." I explained while scratching the back of my neck. My heart started beating rapidly against my chest. She looked at me for a brief moment then returned her gaze to the car. Now, I don't know how she feels about this. I just can't bear Melissa to get beaten again and show up to school having bruises everywhere!

"There must be a reason right? I know that you wouldn't do anything if there is not a good reason behind it.. What happened? What about her family?" She queried, crossing her arms on her chest in the process. I forgot that she does not know about anything. I let out a tired sigh, my mom has to know.

"Mom.. You know Melissa.. Umm.." She just stared at me, looking impatient and worried. "When she came out to her 'so called' mom.. The outcome wasn't really good.. Not even close to okay.. So.." I tried explaining it, but it won't just come out properly from my mouth. "What happened sweetie? Is something wrong? What?" Mom held both sides of my shoulder and started rubbing her thumb on them. "Y-yes.. Something is wrong and Melissa didn't want to tell you.. In fact, only I know about it.." Her nose scrunched up in confusion.

"Spill the beans, Skye.. You're making me worry.." I have no right to say but.. okay for Melissa's sake.. "She was twelve when she came out to Patricia.." I was cut off by my mom's question, "who is Patricia?" She asked as she continued rubbing her thumbs on my shoulders. "Melissa's mom.. Anyways, after she came out to her mom, she started beating her and treated her as if she wasn't her daughter.." Mom let go of my shoulder to cover her mouth.

"Why didn't she tell us before?!" She panicked, ruining her hair at the moment. "She.. She didn't want to be a burden to anyone.." My mom rubbed her forehead and tried to calm down. Another question soon followed. "Well what about her dad? Where is he?"

"Mom, let's go home first.. It's getting late.. We'll talk about it tomorrow, with Melissa.." She nodded and didn't waste any time as she opened the door and started the engine.

÷÷÷÷

The ride on the way home was quiet. I suppose mom is still shocked by the new information, but at least she now understands Melissa's situation.. Hopefully, her and dad will let her live with us. Adopt her if that's possible. Melissa will be my sister! That would be great, not like we aren't sisters yet.. It will just be better when we're sisters.. Oh damn, we are sisters! Just you know, legally or through papers sister thing..

The phone rang which I nonchalantly answered. "Hello, Sullivan's household, how may I help you?" I just realized that I should not have said that. What if this is Smiley calling or some serial killer about to kill my whole family for the lulz?

My suspicion was proven wrong when I heard Melissa's dreamy voice, I don't know it's always dreamy and soft just like that. I think it's her normal voice. "Hey Skye? Is that you?" Her voice quavered as she spoke. "Yes babe, it's me! What happened to you?! Are you alright?" I ask with a worried tone. "Can y-you um.. Come to my house and pick me up? I know it's sudden but I have no place to go.. My mom is kicking me out.." My heart broke as I heard Melissa begging me to pick her up. She might not say it by words but her voice clearly says she's desperate. Like I would refuse this girl.