10: Working Together

Carroll

"Hey Carroll, can you please smile again before you leave? Just one more smile, please?" Ever since I 'accidentally' smiled in the coffee shop, Georgina won't just stop bothering me. Plus Emma. She accidentally saw the candid photo of me genuinely smiling, which wasn't on an accident at all because Georgina purposely showed it to her. She was surprised and amazed at the same time, I mean anyone who does know me will be. Then after she saw it, she helped Georgina bombard me with questions.

"No Georgina, I can't force a genuine smile.. And stop asking because it was just an accident, it won't happen again.." I said while putting my things in the trunk. "Yeah, Georgina, it won't happen again.." I heard Emma say with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "Ohhh.. Yeah yeah, accident, won't happen again.." Georgina mimicked. I heard snickering behind me that caused me to turn my head around to see the two of them with mischievous grins stuck on their faces, fist bumping each other. I rolled my eyes at the two of them before walking around my car to hop in.

"See ya later alligator!" Emma yelled when I put the key in the ignition. "Have a nice night, Elsa! Slay them all!" Georgina chirped in and I can't help but to roll my eyes. I stuck my hand out to wave at them before driving away. "When will they stop calling me, Elsa?" I huffed out of annoyance, but smiled anyways. These two can really get under my nerves, but even though my friends are pains in the ass, I still love them. They are all I have.

I turned the radio up to kill the silence in my car. I just really feel lonelier when it is silent. It's like the world's way of telling me that I should've respected the people around me then maybe I wouldn't feel lonely. Karma is a bitch. I chuckled at my own silliness that came to a halt when I heard the familiar tune of the song that my mom used to sing to me before I go to sleep.

So true
Funny how it seems
Always in time, but never in line for dreams
Head over heels when toe to toe
This is the sound of my soul
This is the sound

I bought a ticket to the world
But now I've come back again
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh, I want the truth to be said

I wish I have not known the truth at all. Then maybe, maybe I would still be living happily with my mom. Maybe I would still be my cheerful old self.

Maybe nothing would have changed.

No, it was right. Me discovering the truth was the correct thing to do. If I hadn't found out about it, then my dad would still be unaware of Carolyn's wrongdoings and continue to live like a fool. I don't want that to happen to my dad.

My car was reaching the house when I saw our gates almost on the view. I killed the engine once I entered the gates. "Welcome back miss Carroll," the chauffeur says while sticking his hands up, waiting for my keys.

"Thank you, just give the stuff in the trunk to Sarah," I ordered with my usual tone. Miguel started driving the car to the garage. "Good evening miss Carroll.. Your father wants to speak with you," Sarah said with a bow. "Oh, he's back from his trip already?" Sarah just nodded and opened the door for me. I saw my dad standing with his back facing me. "Hey dad," I greeted as the old guy turned around with a cigarette on his mouth. He approached me slowly. His face was not happy, something seems off. He stopped right in front of me and seconds later without any warnings, I felt his hard palm make contact with my left cheek.

Wow, I've never been slapped before. It sure stings..

I heard someone gasp loudly behind me but I didn't bother turning around, I couldn't care less. What is his problem now?
"What the hell is your problem Carroll?!" He yelled. "I should be the one asking you that, dad." I answer back with my stare now turning cold, not regretting a word I said. "What the.. You... How can you speak like that to me?! I'm your father!" I inwardly rolled my eyes as I let out a heavy sigh. "Dad.. What is it? I'm sorry for.. being rude, but you just slapped me for no reason?" He shook his head with his hand on his forehead.