20: The Out

Carroll

One week has passed, and yet I still don't know who gave me those lilies. I kept waiting for those lilies to be given again, but I didn't receive them anymore. It was like one in a million opportunity. All I keep receiving was a bouquet of red roses, and I'm getting sick of it.

"Until when are you going to stare at those lilies?" Emma sighed as she slammed her locker shut. "There are no lilies here.." I deadpanned after I made brief eye contact with her. She pointed her fingers at me and then snapped them. "Exactly! Yet, that is what all you could think of.."

"I can't help it.." I sighed. Georgina came closer and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "You know Carroll.. If that person really wanted you to know who she was, then she will.." The ginger said while rubbing soothing circles on my arm.

The anonymous person did leave something for me to recognize her. Now all I have to do is ask them and find out if they know whom those nickname and initials belong to!
"She left a nickname and initials.. The out and-" their loud gasps stopped me from continuing my mid sentence. "What?" I asked, clearly dumbfounded by their reactions. Do they know something? Because look at their reactions. The moment I mentioned 'the out' they gasped loudly.

"Can you tell us what nickname she left again?" Both of them asked in unison. "The out.." I repeated with uncertainty. They looked at each other with grins forming on their faces. "What..?" They turned their eyes to look at me then said, "congratulations, Carroll!" I just gave them a confused look. "For what?" My voice is still laced with confusion. "That's Melissa Madison.." Emma dead-panned. However, Georgina immediately doubted if that's real. Georgina looked at her then back to me. "Wait, there were initials.. What were they?"

"Two upper-cased w.. Why?" Emma's face scrunched up in confusion after my revelation. "It's not Madison then?" She questioned. "Shh, let me think.." Georgina looked down with a finger on her chin as she thought thoroughly.

"Congratulations, Carroll!" Elisabeth, the former secretary, who was passing by, congratulated with a smile. "Thank you," I expressed my gratitude in a stolid tone, like I'm not grateful at all. She left after she nodded before going to Melissa to, I suppose, greet her too. Elisabeth congratulated her differently from how she did to me. Too different that it makes me sad and angry. She even hugged Melissa who hugged her back. I just averted my gaze from them before I completely go dramatic on them.

This is one of the consequences of being cold and heartless. No one will be brave enough to try to melt that ice or try to go through it. And Carroll, you'll have to accept that reality. However, I am still hoping that one day, someone, despite my icy exterior, will try to get to know what's the reason behind this ice and why I created my walls up high, and they will not back out whatever they see or find out because they care for me and love me. Hopefully, that time will still come.

Georgina's head shot up. "It is Melissa Madison!" She announced with a smile after her investigation. Both mine and Emma's faces scrunched up in confusion. "How?" We both asked in unison. "Look at the initials.. It's W W, right? Look closely.. What does two upper-cased w look like when it is reversed?" Georgina was grinning while she was explaining to us.
"Two letter m.." Realization hit me. Melissa Madison's initials are two M!

"Exactly! and Melissa Madison is exactly that person.." My face lit up when realization hit me. I don't know why I'm happy about it, but I sure am.

"Why are you smiling? Carroll?" I just shook my head at their question. "Nothing.. Smiling these days.. Isn't phenomenal anymore, sorry.." I was about to walk away when suddenly, Georgina's question stopped me.

"Woah, and why is that?" She seemed flabbergasted. "I just.. I don't know, feel some changes in me.." I left them and went straight towards the meeting room.