33: Let It Go

With a loud thud, the door of my car hit its frame as I stepped out of it. The cool winter breeze hit my skin causing goosebumps to rise on its wake. I almost shivered. Almost. Then I think my subconscious reminded me who I am.

The ice queen. Elsa, as my close friends refer me to as. Either way, the cold should not bother me. It never bothered me.

But that is the problem. It did bother me. In the past years, it may not have been a big issue. But now, I don't know how but I'm sure I didn't just shiver from the cold, the cold wind caused me to jerk forward. Thankfully, I didn't fall and was still standing on my feet.

Where has the ice queen gone?

Gone.

Gone is the old Carroll Coleman, the ice queen, the cold and heartless bitch, the cunning president.. and every negative adjective I could describe myself with. My facade is now gone. The mask that I've worn for years has finally fell off my face.

Everything slipped from my fingers.

As if I let it go, like Elsa.

Letting go of my past, my fears, my grudge–well, not entirely yet but I'm making a process–, myself..

I'm finally starting to embrace myself and express who I am. I'm starting to not care about what other people might say because of my self-expression, starting to not care about what people will say every time I'm being affectionate to my girlfriend in public places..

I'm getting better for someone who has been nothing but a heartless bitch to everyone I see, even my own parents.

Who was able to get the better in me?

I wouldn't even realize that I'm already inside this familiar enormous marble mansion, if it weren't for the loud thud the main door made as it was closed rather with too much force exerted on it. I let my eyes roam around this house that I used to live in. Nothing has changed, everything is still dull to me. So lifeless and meaningless. So sad and lonely, like this place is not a home to a family.

Upon hearing one of the maids address me as 'Miss Coleman', a smile graced my lips which I think was the cause of the shock written all over her face. Well, it is a phenomenal to see Carroll Coleman with a smile, that is not infamous or cunning, plastered on her face. My smile was not devious, which was probably why the other maids stared at me as well.

"Dahlia," I called out, hoping that my memory served right. "And to all of you," I added while gesturing to the whole staff that is now gaping at me. "You are not to call me, Miss Coleman, ever again.. Is that alright? Carroll is fine with me, no need for any formality.. I'm younger than all of you, so I should be the one doing the respecting, okay?"

"But miss–"

"No Deborah," I put a finger up to cut her question off. "No 'Miss Coleman' crap anymore, Carroll does just better. Do you get that?" I questioned, referring to everyone, before getting myself silent nods coming from them. "Good," I smiled. "Don't forget this talk, okay? The same goes with Carl, he's just a kid like me." Again, they nodded altogether which made a smile appear on my lips that of course took all of them in surprise.

The famous ice queen smiles? Well, what a real phenomenon it is, even rarer than the northern lights.

Deciding that my business here is done, I headed straight to my father's office. I haven't seen the old man for quite a while now. Well, only weeks, but you get what I'm trying to say. I have lived all my life under my father's wing, but in a snap I moved out and went to my mom. After knowing what really happened, my mother's home, although I am only living there for not so long time, felt more homey than this spacious marble house. As much as a marble is cold, that is what the atmosphere in here gives me.