15: Backing Out

Melissa

"Are you sure?" Mrs Kraus asked. I nodded. I just informed her that I won't be running for president anymore and I'd prefer being a vice president. "Madison.. For the past years I've been watching you run for president in every election.. Your words are really persuading, you had so much determination.. You're so passionate about leading your fellow schoolmates.." She trailed off as her gaze pierced mine intently.

"Now.. Tell me what happened for you to back out? You always lose to Carroll but that didn't get in your way, so tell me what happened.." Mrs Kraus ordered. My heart beat suddenly become rapid after hearing her stern voice. I couldn't possibly tell her that Carroll is the reason I am pulling out, right?

I couldn't tell her that Carroll intimidates me. How her cold stare affects me, the way her hips sway perfectly.. The way she speaks with so much authority in her voice that I instantly become this soft thing around her.

"Earth to Melissa," Mrs Kraus's voice brought me back to reality. "It's just.. I.. I got sick and tired of losing repeatedly to the same opponent.. Besides, Carroll is perfect for the position! She is better in being the president than everyone else here.." I tried to speak confidently but my voice betrayed me. Her face clearly didn't buy any of what I just said.

"It's Carroll, isn't it?" I didn't answer instead, my eyes became glued to the floor. Of course, she's not stupid, she's older than me and I'm sure she has known much than me. "It's okay child, I understand.." She laughed, making me look at her weirdly.

"I don't like her.. I never did, never will." I tried to deny but my voice betrayed me. It broke halfway through when I was speaking.

"Your eyes said it all.. I can see the way you look at her.. The way you overreacted.. Melissa, you don't have to ignore it, it's best if you admit it.." The woman across me that didn't seem to be a principal, instead a mother to her child, advised with a smile.

"The way I reacted is just normal. If you were in my shoes, you'd beat the rapist 'til she can't lift her fingers anymore.. And ma'am, I do not like Carroll Coleman, period." She just laughed like I've said the funniest thing in her whole life.

"Say that now but later you'll be coming to me, asking how to serenade someone!" She kept on teasing me. Well, maybe she's right. Maybe I'd come here and ask her how to serenade someone. In fact, she knows how to serenade a girl because she did it too.

"That wouldn't happen Mrs," I retorted but the woman across me did the opposite and laughed. "You bet!" I was suddenly reminded of Skye. I smirked while adjusting my eyeglasses.

"Sure, Mrs Kraus. If I win, I won't pay for my college here.. But if you did.. I'll stick with the scholarship, I guess?" Now I am doubting my own decision and voice. I shouldn't put my future over something like this!

"Good deal child, I'm sure I won't pay for your college." She smirked. Now I'm terrified. How am I supposed to pay for college?! I need to be valedictorian to have one-hundred percent discount!

Carroll is not an easy opponent.

We're always switching rankings. Every end of a quarter, the rankings change. If last grading I was the top, I'd be the second after. It's so unpredictable. I am the laid back while Carroll was the focused one, now you get my point?

"God, I feel like taking back my words.." I talked to myself. "Wait child, are you just admitting that you like Carroll?! You're not confident enough! You can't even last a minute!!" She laughed so amused at me. "Whatever, see you Mrs Kraus!" I hastily left her office before the woman could even retort something. God, she's crazy.

While I was closing the door behind me, I saw Carroll just leaning on one of the lockers in the hallway. Her gaze fell on me just after I closed the door. My heart started beating rapidly in my chest, it feels like it wants to fly out of my ribcage. "Melissa, can I talk to you for a moment?" She approached me, her hips swaying ever so perfectly. Stop that thoughts Melissa. I shook my head at my thoughts. Has she been waiting for me all the time?!