Chapter I: in which she goes to jail

Dakota as Sophie Skelton.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Trevor and I have been best friends since high school and by fate ended up on the same college. We didn't plan it because we didnt't want to influence each other into any decisions. When we were starting our college applications we made a deal. We wouldn't tell each other where we were going to apply. The deal was that when we were accepted and decided which school we were going to attend we'd make the big reaveal. Something like when a pregnant lady reveals the gender of the baby. We knew that our friendship would survive any distance and we never expected to end up in the same place. When we found our fate, we moved in together to an off-campus appartment.

I've always been a girl focused on school; never interested in boys, dating and boyfriends. Trevor was my first real boy-friend. When we met the first day of high school we just clicked. Instant friends. On sophomore year Trevor kept trying to set me up with one of his buddies until he understood I was just not interested. I always had better things to do. Time flew by until I realized that I was a twenty-year-old, with bearly dating experience and decided that it was my time. I was doing good in college, I had a job and my own apartment. So, when Amanda suggested that maybe I should try the dating thing I said why the hell no? What could go wrong?

That kind of thinking got me where I am today. In jail. Confused? Me too. I thought Trevor was going to be the perfect wing man and clearly he wasn't.

Let me start at the beginning. Trevor talked to the guy he mentioned. We were set up to go out on Thursday night for something simple. Trevor said the guy, Tom, wanted to take me for ice cream. I thought that was a good idea. An easy way to start my dating experience. Nothing too drastic like a roadtrip or dinner at his house.

I wore skinny jeans and a Packers t-shirt. It was what I wore for school and I just added some powder to prevent my skin from looking greasy. Tom was going to pick me up. Trevor wanted to come along, following us with his car as some sort of super spy, but some douchebag bumped his car on Tuesday and him being the car lover he is got it fixed right away. The car was still at the mechanic, and Trevor had been taking lifts from me. He wanted to drive my car, but there is no way that is happening. No one drives my car. Besides, it is only ice cream. If I had let him drive my car, maybe I wouldn't have ended up detained.

* * *

Someone, I'm guessing Tom, rings the doorbell. "Trevor! Can you open the door? I'll be there in a second."

Trevor says something I don't quite get. When I finally walk into the living room I see Trevor talking to Tom. He looks like a friendly guy. He is a couple of inches taller than Trevor, I would say a good 6'4. He has smooth dark skin, strong muscles – no surprise there with the football record - and a nice smile that I get to see when he turns my way.

"Dakota?" He smiles.

"Hi." I wave at him, not sure what else to do. I have always been a little awkward around people I don't know.

"You ready?"

"Yes, let's go!" I sound overly excited and Trevor notices it, arching an eyebrow at me amused. I try not to cringe. Off to a good start.

"Okay, have fun kids." Trevor says before walking away. Tom and I stare at him.

"Well...should we go?" Tom asks, I just nod at him. There's a blue Spark parked outside. Everything was perfect. He opened the door for me, let me pick the music and everything. We pulled out of the driveway to the main avenue. We were in a comfortable silence until one of my favorite songs started to play.