Chapter X: in which he gets a concussion

I was outside the dressing rooms again, waiting for Trevor and the rest of the team. They were supposed to come out in another half an hour. I decided to call Amber. We usually talked at night and after the game, but since I had time to spare might as well call her now.

"Hey, girl!"

"Hello." I smiled with the phone against my ear. She always brightens my day.

"How was your date?" I could hear her eating something.

"It wasn't." I leaned on the wall.

"What do you mean?"

"The guy didn't show." I sighed.

"What an ass!" Amber squeaked. "But what happened?"

"We were supposed to meet for lunch. Trevor used to inform me of everything and I just had to go with it, but now he just gives my number away like warm bread." I complained. "Anyways, we were going to meet at one of the cafeterias in campus. I waited an hour. He didn't text, didn't call. I left. The end."

"That's so rude!" Amber sounded angry. "I'd kill him if I knew him."

"I have no idea who he is." I slid to the ground with my knees to my chest.

"Hey, but you still have another four dates." She tried to cheer me. I was not sure if I needed cheering. "Maybe someone shows up."

"I don't think so." I shook my head. "Love is soup, and I'm a fork."

She laughed from the other side of the line. "Don't laugh! It's not funny."

"It kind of is." She chuckled.

"Well, it sums up my life." I declared.

"I would go more with, love is an open door and you shove it closed."

"Love is a balloon, I'm a cactus." I grinned.

"Oh, my god. Where did you get your cliché quotes from?" She giggled.

"Cliché? What about love is air and I'm a fire."

She was silent for a second. "That doesn't really work... and it's still cliché."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see me. "I have to go now. The game is about to start. We have to talk soon! I feel like I'm the one doing all the talk lately."

"Don't worry about it girl, talk to you soon." She hung up.

Football was savage. More specifically, the other team was. They had been playing on the aggressive side. Blocking a little to strong, tackling to death and voicing threats. They wanted blood. We already had an injured player that was out for the game, and there were three minutes left on the second quarter. Who knows if they'll manage to bench anyone else. The worst part was that they were not getting called out for it, because technically they were sticking to the rules.

Matt sent a 25-yard pass, Trevor was sprinting down the field. Two defenders from the opposing team were nearing. Trevor saw one of them, but from his perspective the other one came out of nowhere. I was not breathing, not blinking, not moving.

He caught the ball on yard 20, but number 32 tackled him to the ground with an awful crunching sound. I was gripping the towel so hard that if it were a brick it would turn to dust. Trevor stood up with a light limp and I sighed in relief.

"They're going to get someone else injured." I turned to Chris, the guy that was benched. He had a sprained wrist and was unconscious for a few seconds. Coach didn't want to risk putting him back in. "I cannot believe there's nothing we can do, and we're losing."