Chapter XV: in which she goes to the hospital

"I have a date!" I announced to the apartment on Thursday after returning from Idaho. I heard something heavy falling to the ground with a thud followed by a string of courses. "Are you okay?!"

"I didn't fall!"

And I'm a man. I rolled my eyes, closing the front door. Trevor came out of his room looking slightly agitated. "Did you hit your head? You can't afford more dead brain cells."

"Hey! More respect, please." He ruffled his hair and walked to the kitchen with me at his heel. "Why do you have a date?"

"Because I'm gorgeous." I grinned at his back.

"I know that." He turned around. "How do you have a date?"

"A guy from one of my classes asked me out." I explained. "He said he heard that I was going out more and thought it was his opportunity."

"Don't you think that's weird?" Trevor crossed his arms looking down at me.

"Why weird?"

"He decided to ask you out, out of the blue. Do you even know him? Why now? Does he have ulterior motives? Is he trying to-"

"I'm classroom friends with him." I cut him off. "He gave me chocolates, asked me, and I said yes. No big deal."

"What does classroom friends even mean?"

"We're friends just in class." I walked past him to get a glass of water.

"That doesn't make any sense." He muttered behind me.

"We are going to the movies and he is coming to pick me up in two hours." I kept going.

"Today?" I turned around to see Trevor frowning.

"Umm... yes? It's Friday so I have nothing else to do and your game is tomorrow."

"I guess, can I go with you? Like with the second guy that tried to propose to you?" He laughed at me.

"Hell no, Boo Boo." I smirked. It had been almost a month since I last called him that. "We are going to the movies and he is going to pick me up. Nothing interesting happens at the movies."

"I can sit behind you! If he tries any funny business I can have quick access to his face!" He smiled brightly as if what he just said was the best idea in the world.

"No!" I frowned. The idiot dared to give me the puppy eyes. I fucking hate him.

You don't. Don't lie to yourself.

"You know you want me to go." He smiled sweetly.

"I hate you, Trevor Mathews." I sighed exasperated. "But okay."

The idiot winked.

***

James picked me up as promised. Trevor was supposed to follow us to the cinema ten minutes after I left with James.

"What do you want to see?" James asked once we were in front of the ticket booth.

"I was thinking about Ready Player One." I suggested. I had seen the trailer a while back and was happy when I found that it had already premiered.

"Sounds good." James smiled. "I was hoping you would choose that one."

I gave him a close-lipped smile. We bought the tickets and headed inside to the movie. On my peripheral vision I could see that Trevor just walked in. I texted him quickly which movie we were going to see and our seats so that he could buy his a few rows behind us. The whole thing made me feel as if we were in a spy's movie.