Chapter III: in which she's the water girl

Sophie Skelton is so pretty.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My laughter combined with the running makes it hard to breathe. I'm panting so hard that it seems as if I just ran a marathon. Trevor and I were  still holding hands when we turned on a street that leads us directly to one of the public beaches.

"I can't believe that just happened!" Trevor exclaims.

"Who are you setting me up with?!" I halfheartedly complained.

"The guy wanted to give you a promise ring." He ignored me. "No wonder I hadn't introduced him to you."

"What?" I sobered up.

"The guy has been trying to score a date with you for over a year." Trevor spoke as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Seriously? You never told me anything."

"You just saw why."

By this point we had reach the beach. We stopped for a second while I removed my sneakers and socks, letting go of his hand. There was a soft breeze gracing my bare legs, today I went with some shorts and a tank top. Jeans were almost suicidal in California.

"If you knew he was like that, why did you set me up with him?" I looked at him. A strange look crossed his face, but it disappeared as fast as it came.

"I wanted to have some fun." He smirked.

"Ugh, I hate you." I bumped my shoulder in his abdomen, fake tackling him.

He shoved me away gently. "No, you don't."

"I don't." I grinned up at him.

We kept walking until we reached a small sand dune. It was around 7:30 in the afternoon and the sun was about to set. There were few people hanging around because it's Tuesday.

Trevor asked me if I want to stay and watch the sun set. I dumped my small bag in the sand as answer.

We sat side by side in silence for a few minutes until I broke the silence. "Are you nervous for your first game?"

"Not that much. The other team sucks so we expect to win." He turned to me. That close I took a minute to study his face. We've know each other for six years, and sometimes I almost forget how gorgeous he is. My favorite thing are his eyes. I've never managed to decide which color they are. Officially, they are hazel, but sometimes with the right light they look a deep shade of green. Just like right know. He has a strong jaw line covered by a 5 o'clock shadow. He has always preferred a short haircut, but just long enough to run his fingers through it. Something he was doing. I didn't have to look down his neck to know what is there. He is a football player, strong muscles all over come with the deal.

"I'm excited though." He continued. "I can't wait for the season to start. You are coming to the game, right?"

"Of course. Why do you want me next to you anyways?" I turned away from him to stare at the sky. The oranges and pinks that cover the clouds just before the last rays of light were starting to show. In another 10 minutes the stars will start to pop up.

"I want to see you all crazy over towels and water. You are going to be my assistant."

"You have someone to do that for you." I pointed out.

"I'm getting you dates. You are giving me water." The sun has set by now and without its warmth my arms and legs were covered goosebumps. Trevor noticed it and put an arm around my shoulders. "Come here."

I snuggled close to him, he slid us until we were lying on the sand staring at the sky. My head was on his shoulder and one of my arms over his chest. His warmth made me sleepy and without realizing it I dozed off.