Chapter VII: in which she goes carpool karaoke

Amanda as Amandla Stenberg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I can't believe you just walked out like that!" Amanda had tears in her eyes.

I called her in an emergency FaceTime session when Trevor and I got home. The strange painting had left me anxious for unknown reasons and I wanted a second opinion. It was just too weird. Everything was okay. The movie was great. We had made small talk, nice small talk. Then when we get to his house he has a huge painting of his face, and he doesn't know where it comes from. Of course he knows! He was acting all strange.

"But what do you think about the paint?" I urged her.

"I don't know. Maybe he just didn't want to tell." Amanda reasoned. "Maybe it's an embarassing story."

"Maybe, but he could come up with a story. I don't know. That someone gave it to him or something, but he just plain told me he didn't know." I argued. "It's a little suspicious."

"Are you going to text him?" Amanda asked. "Perhaps he is a little reluctant with strengers. A few more dates and he'll tell you."

"I don't think so. To be honest it was just too weird for me." I explained.

"Are you sure? I mean, he doesn't sound that bad. Do you have any other reasons besides the painting?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

"Like what?" I frowned confused. I rested my phone against my pillow, so that I had my hands free to change into my pajamas. Amanda made no comment. We had seen each other in our underwear more times than I can count.

"You know what I mean." She stared pointedly at me.

I sigh. "Trevor and I are just friends. I have told you this countless times. We're friends and that's it. Besides, he's not even interested in me."

"You don't know that."

"It doesn't matter." I rolled my eyes.

"Then why won't you go out with Jake again? The painting thing is not that bad."

I wished I had a valid reason.

* * *

On Thursday, Trevor drove us to school because we have our first class together, analytic chemistry. We were listening to an 80's rock station. Trevor was slightly banging his head to the music and I waited with a huge grin for the inevitable moment in which he will start singing Bohemian Rhapsody. He was mumbling under his breath when he noticed I was looking at him. Half way through the song it happened.

"I see a little silhouetto of a man." He started. "Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the fandango."

"Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me." He turned to me for a second. "Gallileo."

"Gallileo." I joined in.

"Gallileo."

"Gallileo."

"Gallileo Figaro."

"Magnifico!"  I laughed. 

We reached the parking lot when the song ended. A song by The Police started, but Trevor turned off the car. When we got out he commented. "You never told me how your date went."

"Everything started okay, but then when we were at his apartmen..." I started with the story.

".. and Amanda says I should go out with him again." I finished. By now we were walking through the classroom's door and I headed to our usual seats.