Chapter VI: in which there's a strange painting

"You are going to be okay, right?" Trevor asked for the third time. He was driving me to the movie theater for my next date. Wooh-hooh. Evan, my date, didn't have a car. Trevor agreed with him that we would meet at the movies. Trevor said he had some business to do. I think he was going grocery shopping, so he offered to drive me. Since the supermarket was super close to the movie theater I agreed, if anything wrong happened I could just call him. It was still a mystery to me why he wouldn't just give me the guy's numbers and let me handle all the logistics. He just arranged everything with them and later on let me know.

"Yes. I am going to be okay. Why are you so worried?" I frowned. "Isn't he supposed to be your friend?"

"I don't know him that much." He explained.

"Then why am I going out with him?" This was what I didn't understand. I agreed with Trevor that he was going to set me up with some of his friends because he knows me and probably he knows who will be right for me, but the last three dates have been awful. I was not sure how this was going to work out for me. I hoped that the movie didn't end up in disaster.

"He seemed like a nice guy and he's one of the guys that has been asking for your number for a while." He turned the corner on to the street of the movie theater.

"That is another thing I don't get." I started, thinking out loud. "Why all of a sudden all these guys start to show up? I have never before noticed them. No one has ever noticed me. I mean, I just told you to find me dates and suddenly they just appear. Adding to the mystery, the even were interested in me for a long while."

I looked at Trevor for answers. We reached the cinema and he parked the car. "You told me to keep them away."

"I don't remember that, and I think I would remember if I had told you. What are you talking about?"

"We were in first semester of college, one or two months into it." He started the story rubbing his face. "There were around three different guys that asked you out. You kept rejecting them and when the fourth came around you told me — since they were my friends — you told me to keep them away from you. That you were not interested in dating and that it was a pain in your ass to keep them away."

"I am sure that didn't happen. Yes, on first semester one guy asked me out, but that was it. I've never been a magnet of guys." What was he talking about? "I'm not that pretty."

"Koda." He looked me in the eye. "You are beautiful."

I blushed. It was not the first time he had told me that, but it always managed to make me blush. I was not good at taking compliments. It was not that I had a low self-esteem, I just didn't know how to react. Amber had always told me that I needed to learn how to appreciate a complement, but... I don't know. It made me nervous, I guess.

"Thanks." I smiled at him. I might not knew how to take a complement, but I did have manners. "I have to go now. I'll call you if anything happens."

I got out of the car taking my purse with me. Trevor drove away and I walked inside. I was not sure how Jake - my date - looked, but since it was Wednesday the place was deserted. I hoped it wouldn't be that hard to find him. Trevor told me Jake had already bought the tickets and I had no idea which movie we were going to see. I headed to one of the couches, but before I got there I saw a guy making his way to me.

"Hello, Dakota." He gave me a quick hug. I guessed and hoped this was Jake, it would be awkward for a random guy to hug me.