Chapter XVI: in which they snuggle

"Okay." I raised my hands. "Let's calm down."

From the corner of my eye I saw James turning away from us and hiding behind his pillow. I almost chuckled.

"CALM DOWN?"

Jesus.

"You're in the hospital!" Trevor was fuming. He was red faced with pulsing nostrils. "What did that idiot do? Where is he?!"

Trevor then scanned the room. His eyes landed on James, that by now was trying to hide behind his pillow and bedsheets. "YOU! What the fuck happened?"

I cringed feeling bad for James.

"Um... well." James looked at me pleadingly. If he narrated to Trevor the real story, he was as good as dead.

"We were waiting to cross the street." I spoke up. "When the light finally changed a bicycle came out of nowhere and crashed with us. In a mess of screams and limbs we ended with the broken finger and an ugly hit to the head."

"Where's the guy of the bicycle?" Trevor rose an eyebrow.

"Um..." James was so dead. "He didn't get hurt, so he's not here."

"I'm not buying it." Trevor narrowed his eyes. "And you know it."

"Okay! Fine!" James snapped. "I was trying to kiss her doing that dipping thing and we fell. She hit her head with a wall and I broke my finger when she landed on me."

Trevor turned slowly to James and with a chilling voice asked. "Are you out of your mind?"

"It was a miscalculation." James tried to justify.

"Miscalculation?! You, dumb fuck. She could have gotten seriously hurt!" Trevor was about to storm to James' bed, but I held his wrist to stop him.

"Hey." I tugged at his arm when he refused to turn away from James. "I'm okay. I haven't passed out, I don't feel like throwing up. It's probable that I only have a slight concussion."

Thankfully the doctors arrived before Trevor could continue with his storm of rage. A cute doctor with blond hair on a high ponytail approached James. I didn't get to hear what she was saying because my own doctor walked to us and good gracious was he a sight. Tall, blonde, blue eyed and with a kind smile made him look like the perfect doctor model.

"Hello, Dakota." He read my name from his chart. "I'm Dr. Philips from neuro. It says in the chart that you hit your head pretty hard. Can you tell me what happened?"

Trevor interjected before I could say anything. "That idiot over there tried to kiss her with the 'dip-move' and ended up banging her head against a wall."

James was apparently listening to our conversation because he felt the need to reply. "I already said I'm sorry!"

Trevor didn't even spare him a look and closed the curtain between the beds. At that the doctor chuckled. I looked at him and shake my head with an amused smile.

"So, you hit your head. Can you tell me where so that I can examine it?" Dr. Philips asked.

"It's right..." I pointed to the place it hurt the most. "...here."

The doctor moved my hair around to search for any visible injuries and I winced. Even by touching my hair my head hurt.

"She's going to be okay, right?" Trevor asked anxiously.

"I can't see any superficial injuries." Dr. Philips looked at Trevor and then turned to me. "You'll probably develop a bump in the next couple of hours and I just have to make a few more tests and ask you some questions."