Chapter XVII: in which he goes to the hospital

We never got to finish our conversation. Trevor had to be in school by noon because he had a game at four and the coach wanted to talk to the team. When we woke up I didn't even had time to enjoy the fact that he had his arm wrapped around my waist because it was 11am and Trevor had to leave in thirty minutes.

The six weeks had developed into a routine every time Trevor had a game.  Trevor would leave early for warm up and practice. I would take a taxi to the field thirty minutes after the game started and wait for him outside the locker rooms, then we walked to the field. The coach had warmed up to me and relaxed a little with all the towels and thermos. I was still the official water girl of the team, but the guys stopped treating me like a slave, or maybe I had just gotten used to it. Who knows.

The first half of the game went by in a rush. Both teams had been playing with the same determination and the match was even. Things started getting a little tense on the second half. Everyone was desperate to score, and the players roughed up. A shove here, extra strength on a tackle and stuff like that. I was getting worried because it would be awful if someone got hurt. The coach didn't look that worried and he just kept yelling plays. I breathed to calm my nerves and kept myself busy with the water-girl duties. It didn't help.

Trevor was looking desperately over at Matt, the quarterback, to let him know that he was free. I didn't recognize the play they were trying to pull off, but it looked like everything was going south because the field was a mess. They would for sure get an earful from the coach. The players on both teams were trying to win the game in the last five seconds with the opposing team winning by a difference of three points.

Matt sent the Hail Mary to Trevor trying to win the game. Trevor caught the ball and ran down the field. Two players from the other team were hot on his heels. I was holding my breath along with the towel on my hands. Just as Trevor crossed the touchdown line the players went at him with a sickening crunch. Immediately the referees threw yellow flags on the field signaling a foul. They were not supposed to tackle him when he had already scored the touchdown.

I couldn't see from the distance what was happening. Both players were climbing off Trevor and I gasped when I saw he was not making an effort to stand up. One of the players offered him a hand to help him up but he shook his head. At least he was breathing. I, on the other hand, was on the brink of hyperventilation. I was breathing heavily not sure of what to do. I was frozen on my seat waiting for the moment in which Trevor would stand up. When the medical team walked in the field tears welled up in my eyes. He had to be okay. There was no other option. I wiped a silent tear with the dirty towel.

The cart of misfortunes drove into the field and the medical team had given Trevor a cervical collar. I snapped. I threw the dirty towel on the floor and ran to Trevor, ignoring the angry cries of the coach. I jumped on the cart just before it drove away from the field. The paramedics gave a startled yelp, but I didn't care. I crawled to Trevor almost sobbing. I had to talk to him and know that he was okay.

"How did you manage to get here, Koda?" I sobbed harder.

"You idiot. How are you feeling?" I had to ask. Trevor looked at me with those deep chocolate eyes.

"Everything hurts." I knew he was putting up a brave face for me. He was breathing hard and he had his hands balled up in fists.

I grabbed his hand and he automatically opened his palm to intertwine out fingers. "Where does it hurt?"

"From the neck to the right shoulder. I think something is broken between that area." He winced, giving up with the brave facade. "They had to put into place my right shoulder too."

"You had me so worried when they had to call the misfortunes cart." I whispered, I felt it was necessary with the paramedics looking at us.

"Misfortunes cart?" Trevor chuckled and winced immediately after.

"The cart only comes to drag someone out when it's a serious matter." I explained. "How's the shoulder?"

"Hurts like a bitch." Trevor tried to smile.

We got to the ambulance and the paramedics pulled Trevor up. The drive to the hospital was pretty fast and in no time, we were rushing in the ER. Trevor was getting x-rays and I had to wait. All the waiting was getting on my nerves. He had been gone for twenty minutes and I started chewing on my nails for half of that time. It's not something I do often, just under very stressful situations. I knew Trevor was not going to die or anything but the fact that he was rushed into the hospital didn't sit well with me.

Trevor was finally rolled into the ER again. He was wearing an arm sling but nothing else appeared to be out of palace. I thought it was too dramatic to have him moving in the hospital on a bed, he could walk. I stood from the plastic chair and walked to his bed. Dr Philips, the one that had checked my head yesterday, was standing beside him.

"Dr. Philips, is everything okay?" Why was the neurologist here?

"Hi!" Dr. Philips smiled. "Dakota, right? I was taking a look at Trevor. How's your concussion going?"

"No head ache today." I offer a tentative smile. What I wanted to talk about was Trevor's status. "How's Trevor?"

"I'm fine, Koda." He grabbed my wrist gently. I looked down at him. "You worry too much."

"If I remember correctly you were making a huge scene yesterday." I rolled my eyes.

"Young love." Dr. Philips cut in. I blushed. Trevor intertwined our fingers.

"Umm, actually-"

Trevor cut me off. "Doctor, can you tell Koda what's wrong with me, please?"

"He's okay." The doctor said seriously. "Ortho looked at his shoulder and it was just a luxation, the shoulder moved out of place. The paramedics worked on that before the muscles cooled off so the recovery time is two weeks. He'll have to wear the arm sling. His head and neck are fine."

"I'm so relieved." I sighed loudly. Trevor squeezed my hand. I should be the one doing that, no the way around. I'm the one that's supposed to comfort him in the hospital.

"Told you, you worry too much."

"That's all, I have to get going. I already signed your discharge papers." Dr. Philips gestured to the door. "I have other patients."

"Thank you, Dr. Philips." I smiled warmly.

"I hope I don't get to see you again any time soon." The doctor said.

"Me too." Trevor grinned. Dr. Philips walked away with a las wave.

"Now I will go take care of the bill." I dropped Trevor's hand and walked away before he could complain.

Thankfully today the hospital was less chaotic than the previous day. I paid for everything and asked the lady at the reception for a taxi before heading back to Trevor's bed.

"You didn't have to do that." He frowned. He looked so cute when he frowned. It made me want to kiss him. Wait, what?

"You did it las time, now it's my turn." I patted his knee.

"It's not about turns." He mumbled.

"Doesn't matter." I rolled my eyes. "Let's go home. Just promise me something."

"What?" He stood up from the bed.

"Promise me that we won't be having any more trips to the emergency room."

Trevor tried to wrap an arm around my shoulders, but winced and just took my hand. "Only if you promise the same."

"Promise."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Aren't they cute?

I'm currently at work, finally free from final exams, and I have nothing to do. I either need a new job or just work slower.

Regards,

A. L. Pecka