Chapter twenty-three: in which she goes back

When I woke up Amanda was still asleep. It was almost one in the afternoon and the sun was shining brightly. I didn't want to wake Amanda so I just made myself at home. I went to the kitchen to get some food and to wait for my friend to leave her bed.

The question she had asked kept floating around in my head.

Why are you running?

Maybe she was right, and it had something to do with my father. With the fact that he was always expecting more and since I love him his expectations and the fear of letting him down was a shadow upon me constantly. I was afraind of letting people down and in my mind a deeper relationship meant more expectations.

Trevor had alway been my safe heaven. I never had to be concious of my actions around him, I was always myself. Amanda is my best friend, but Trevor had always been something more. Something I coudln't quite lable but that had fallen into the 'best friend' tag and just stuck with it.

Was I afraid of changing our relationship? Of course, but that was not what was stoping me.

Why are you running?

***

I was sitting on the counter eating cereal when Amanda finally came out of her room.

"Morning!" I cheerfully teased.

I got a noncommitted grunting sound from her. She was worse than me in the mornings. Amanda grabbed another bowl from the drawer to get cereal for herself.

"How did you sleep?" She asked between spoonfulls. "What time is it anyways?"

"Okay. It's eleven"

She eyed me.

"Honestly, I just need my own bed."

"When are you going back?"

I liked that she wasn't boarding the topic of Trevor straigh on, I could tell she was measuring the waters.

"Tonight or tomorrow morning the latest, I have to get back before Monday, I have school after all."

"It's up to you, you know you can stay here tonight if you want, or if you have made up your mind..." She let the sentence die.

If you have made up your mind you can go back and talk to Trevor, I won't mind.

"I know."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I don't even know were to start." I had a lot of thoughts and theories runing around, and my dead phone was starting to become a problem in my mind. I felt guilt about ignoring Trevor and Kate.

"I'm going to the the driver of this car called Dakota's Life Truck- "

"Why does it have to be a truck?"

She ignored me. " -and I'm going to drag you around town. I'll let you decide when you leave, though."

"Wow, thanks."

"Now go shower and get dressed. We are leaving in twenty minutes."

"Were are we going?"

"Get dressed!"

"Yes, sir!" I saluted her.

***

Amanda drove us to the mall. I complained the whole way. When she had said that she was going to drive me around town I was expecting a more gastronomic tour with ice cream and hamburgers full of carbs.

"Why are we going to the mall?" I whined,

"Why are you always whining? I told you I was going to conduct your life today. Shuck it up!"