Chapter 3 - Sent Over the Edge

*This chapter has been edited.

Annabeth

I watched with anger burning in me as Jake strolled over from the old Hermes table to mine. The other kids at the Athena table smiled and waved at him. I sighed and slapped Malcolm's hand down. "What are you doing?" I demanded.

He rolled his eyes, obviously annoyed. "Uh...saying hi to Jake?" Jake nodded his head in acknowledgement to Malcolm, and the two chatted for a bit about the upcoming chariot race. It didn't make sense to me how Jake knew so much about the camp and all of the Greek gods when he had only been here for a week. Some people, like most of the camp, just couldn't see what I saw in Jake. While they conversed, I devoured the rest of my waffles in an attempt to escape as quick as possible. I was too slow.  

Malcolm and the others headed out, and I was left alone with Jake. He leaned casually on the table. "Hey Annie," he said.

"Don't call me Annie," I growled. I saw the coward shake slightly under my glare. That gave me some satisfaction. But he easily recovered and kept on talking. 

"So, Annabeth, I was wondering if you wanted to go out on a date, just you and me." I nearly spit out my orange juice all over his leather armor. He wanted to go on a date! With me! He didn't even say it as a question, it was more of a command. I crossed my arms defiantly and held his gaze.  

"Did you seriously just ask me that? Even if you didn't know that I'm in a relationship, what makes you think that I would ever go out with someone like you?"

He didn't seem as taken aback as I thought he would. 

"Percy beats you out by thousands," I continued, trying to make him walk away. It worked, but, not exactly how I expected it to. 

"We'll see," he mused, and walked away smirking. I took another sip of orange juice and glared at the remains of my waffles.

Time Skip to That Night

Percy

I had looked all over camp and couldn't find Annabeth anywhere. We were supposed to meet at my cabin, but she didn't show. After checking the Athena cabin, the training arena, and the campfire, I concluded that she had gotten confused and headed down to the beach already. 

The soft waves of the lake calmed me as I headed past the Big House and towards the pier. I couldn't spot Annabeth. Only the shadow of a couple campers kissing on the sand. I scanned the rest of the beach, hoping to see Annabeth working on her laptop underneath a tree or something, but I didn't see her anywhere. I was about to turn back to search the camp again until I heard something that chilled me to the bone.

"When are you going to break up with that loser Percy?" The voice was Jake's. 

"Whenever I see him next. But right now, it's just you and me." The girl sighed and curled into Jake's side. It was Annabeth. 

I felt my eyes welling up with uncontrollable tears. I never expected to be the person to cry over a bit of teenage drama. That was the sort of stuff you only see on television. Sure, the girl cheated on the guy. The guy was too good for her anyways. 

But the relationship between Annabeth and I was different. We had gone through so much together, between the Titan War, the Prophecy of Seven, and our journey through Tartarus. How many other teenagers had that sort of bond? Sure, we had our ups and downs, but we always came out ok. Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen. I had no one left.  I couldn't stay at Camp Half Blood anymore. Home had always been wherever my friends were, and I definitely had no friends here.

I couldn't hold it in anymore. "How could you?! I thought you were the only person who still believed in me!" Annabeth turned and jumped when she saw me. 

"P-Percy?" She seemed startled, and I couldn't understand why. She should have expected me to be startled if she went out with someone like Jake. 

Jake smirked and tried to kiss her again. But I couldn't bear to watch. The week's events had me shaken. Tomorrow morning I would leave at first light. Maybe it wasn't the most rational decision I had ever made, but I didn't care. Fine. Just fine. If no one wanted me, I would leave. I stormed back to my cabin to pack my things. 

"Percy, wait!" I heard her call. "It's not what it looks like!"

I ignored her and kept walking. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her shove Jake away and run back to her cabin. At least she still had the decency to ditch the idiot.

Back at my cabin, I rammed all my things into a small bag. Riptide, the Minotaur horn, my camp necklace. At this point, I was seeing red. Within a few seconds, all of Jake's belongings were trashed on the floor and covered in water. Then I went back to packing. I debated on taking a picture of Annabeth and I, and ended up shoving into my bag. It was given to me by Clarisse, and displayed an image of Annabeth and I kissing in the forest. I don't know why I grabbed it. Maybe because it reminded me of old memories. Maybe because I still hoped that we would be able to mend things between us. She may have cheated on me, but I still loved her.

I looked out the window of the cabin and saw Jake still standing on the beach, the smirk still plastered on his face. Out of the lake rose a figure. It was my dad. 

"Well done Jake. I'm so proud of you for becoming the new hero of this camp," said Poseidon.

"What about Percy?" asked Jake. It didn't sound like he actually cared about my well being, just worried about whether or not I still outshone him. 

Poseidon sighed. "He's still my son, but it seems now that the two wars are over he's...drifted away from our relationship." Jee, I wonder why. I slammed the window shut, ignoring the stares I got from passing campers. There was nothing left for me here. 

Annabeth 

Before Percy showed up, I had been happily kissing Jake. It was just him and I, together. Then I heard Percy yelling at me. As soon as I saw him, I felt like a fog had been lifted from my head. As soon as it was gone, I began to think clearer. I had been under the spell of a love potion. I saw Percy yelling at me, then he stormed back to his cabin. 

"Percy wait!" I called. "It's not what it looks like!" When he didn't respond I shoved Jake off of me and ran to my cabin. As Percy's girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend now that Jake had forced me to kiss him, I knew what he would do. I knew the way he thinks. Lovable, oblivious, and emotional Percy, who's decisions are driven by his loyalty to his friends. He was going to leave camp, and I was going to stop him.

Yay! Chapter 3 is finished! Percabeth  scene next chapter and Chaos is coming! So excited guys! Please comment below.