Chapter Nine; The First Smile.

Harry was right. The painting didn't end too well.

Before Joanna and Harry had entered the room, there was a creamy coloured sheet led across the floor. The sheet was to stop the paint landing on the floor boards as he painted. (His mum had decided to not put any type of flooring down in that room seeing as all Harry was going to do was drop paint onto it). The paints, pencils and pens were all very organised on the old oak desk, (which had a little paint and pen here and there) that was placed by the long window what went from the floor to the ceiling. The walls were covered in Harry's most favourite paintings and drawings.

Once they left, both of their bodies and the nearly plain cream sheet, was covered in blue and red paint. The red being Harry and the blue being Joanna. Luckily the drawings on the walls were paint free.

Laughing, they both rushed back down the hall and bashed their way into Harry's bedroom trying to get as little paint on the carpets and walls as possible. Once they had got changed, Joanna leaving to get changed in the bathroom attached to Harry's room, it was 7:48 and Harry was getting a little tired. Harry had always been the typical 'party pooper'. He would always be the first to fall asleep whenever Joanna stayed around.

Joanna jumped -literally- out of the bathroom just as Harry had pulled up his jogging bottoms. She was wearing Tinkerbell shorts with a matching T-shirt. Whereas Harry was wearing just his baggy joggers. With is being September, the summer hasn't completely left and the warm thick air was still around which left the night particularly warm.

Harry spun around and raised an eyebrow at his friend as he felt her presence in his room. He silently asked her a question which she soon answered.

"There was a spider." She sighned a shy look on her face.

"Was..?" Harry questioned.

"I kinda flushed it down the toilet?" Harry immediately burst into a laughing fit. Laughing so hard that he had to hold onto his sides as he was afraid that they were going to tear his body in half. It didn't take long for Joanna to join in an the two sixteen-year-olds were led on the floor facing the ceiling trying their best to catch their breaths.

Joanna smiled to herself as she tuerned onto her left side to face her friend. She poked Harry who was led less than twenty centimeteres away. Harry looked over and smiled.

"You're still coming to that barbecue that Lexus invited us to, right?" Joanna asked.

"Yeah, wouldn't miss it for the world." Harry sighned back, before sitting up and pulling himself off the ground. Joanna looked up and put her arms out in front of herself. Looking up at Harry she pouted. With a fake huff, that turned into a smile, Harry gripped ahold of her hands and steadily pulled her to her feet.

It was around10:45 when Joanna fell asleep. Harry was suprised and kind of pleased with himself that he wasn't the first to doze off. But just after he took one last look of his most prized picture of that boy, Harry fell into a peaceful slumber. And this time, Harry didn't dream about being able to hear the world around him.

He dremt of him.

Louis.

*-*

Louis awoke to the sweet smell of pancake mixture and the sound of a very happy mother humming along to the radio. Louis couldn't help the small smile etch its way onto his lips.

This has been the first time he had woken up to this sound since the accident and Louis had acutally missed the sound of his mothers awful voice singing along with songs he wished didn't exist.

This had also been the first time Louis had woke up and smiled. He didn't know if it was because of his mothers ability to ruin a song in a couple of seconds, the fact that he is spending the day with his new found friend, or if it was because the sound of a raspy voice still echoed in his mind.

Louis pulled back his thick covers off his body and swung his legs so that they were hanging over the edge of his bed. Leaning to his right, Louis felt around for his long peice of metal that helped him find his way around. In a matter of seconds, he found the stick leaning up against his bedside table, just where he had left it late last night. Pushing against the floor with his feet, Louis stood from his bed.

As he reached the doorway, the smell became stronger and the sound of a loud gargling sound made its way from Louis' stomach. Placing his free hand on the wall, Louis made his way, steadily, down the stairs.

"Good morning." Joe sang as she placed a plate full of pancakes down on the kitchen side. "Sleep well?" She asked looking her son over.

"Yep. And from the sounds of it, so did you?" Louis smiled. Joe had to look twice at her son before she realised that he did in fact smile towards her and that it wasn't her imagination.

"Yes. Yes I did actually. Now why don't you take this plate into the dining room and start eating, I'll be in in a second." Joe pushed the plate towards the brown haird boy and watched him pick up the plate with one hand. Joe turned away from Louis as he walked out of the room, facing the counter top instead.

Turning off the radio, Joe's smile grew. To the left of the grey box with speakers, was a picture of her family. Louis was dressed in a small green dress with pointy green shoes and a green hat with a red feather to match. Holding him high in the air was her husband. Louis' hero. His dad.

She was the one who had taken the photo and proud she was. She had managed to capture the moment whilst it lasted. Three days later was when they found the disease that took his life a couple of years later.

After placing the photo frame back next to the radio, Joe wiped the tears that were just slipping out of her eyes. She turned on her heel, picked up the spare plate of pancakes and glass of orange juice before she made her way out of the kitchen and into the dinning room, joining her son.

"So, today's the day." She announced as she took her seat opposite Louis. She noticed the little jump he did, and guessed that he must have not heard her enter the room.

"Yeah," Louis placed the smile back onto his face and carried on eating the pancake that he had on his plate.

"Okay, well when you are finished, make sure you have a shower and I'll get your clothes out for you, yeah?" Joe took a sip of orange juice. Louis nodded his head in agreement before placing the last cut up piece of food into his mouth. Screeching against the floor, the chair moved back as Louis exited the table. Joe watched as he made his way around the room and over to her.

"Thank you." He whispered as he placed his lips onto her cheek.

"Thats okay honey. Now you go and have that shower. There might even be some hot bous at that barbecue." With that, Louis let out a loud laugh that she hadn't heard in a long time. Picking up his plate with his right hand, Louis held his walking stick with his left as he made his way to the sink.

_____________________

Okay, so litterally nothing happend. I'm sorry. Next chapter will though as it is going to be the barbecue.

Sorry I haven't updated in ages agaain. It's summer now so I'll use the time wisely.

It's weird to think that this is going to be the last summer break I have at my school but then again it's kind of cool...

I'm going before this gets toooo long.

Ask questions in the comments :)

Edited.