11. Phantoms and Mysterious Noise

DON'T FORGET TO

FAN

VOTE

COMMENT

Knock Knock

Who's there

Don't block

He's fair

Welcome to his lair

Coming to halt in front of the craftsman's house, her eyes glazed over

Coming to halt in front of the craftsman's house, her eyes glazed over. She studied its columns, large porch where two rocking chairs nestled and the three car garage. The windows where framed by thick white borders against a rich dark navy blue with Tudor style shutters against it. Kind of eclectic, but it was home. Or at least it was supposed to be.

Her bones felt too heavy for skin and she dreaded going inside. She was certain she was probably sleeping in a room meant to be used as a secondary office space. Placing the key in the door, she held her breath as the lock came undone. Her heart hammered away in her chest as she carefully step in the house and close the door gently behind her. Her eyes swept the space the soft cream color walls greeting her. Good. No one was here. She tiptoed to the staircase hoping to race to her room when she heard the tv from the great-room cut on. Damn! She quivered, terrified of her father finding her. Her stomach swayed as bile began to burn its way up her throat. No! Swallowing thickly, she forced it down holding her breath and creeping to her room.

"Is that you girl?"

Rosalinda limbs failed to obey her as they trembled, and she nearly collapsed on the stairs swearing at the creaky step. Tears sprang to her eyes as her fear became debilitating. Turning around, she hurried down. To make him wait was to ask for a harsher beating. As she step through the hallway into the great-room, her eyes collided with Rachel's blue ones. Her sister was gloating and he was angry. Her heart fluttered wildly about in her chest as she broke out into a cold sweat. She had to pee. No! This was not okay, maybe she could spend a night over Yu's house. She didn't have to take this crap from her father any longer. S-she would tell mom!

"So you're skipping school now? Sleeping around with women now? Rachel has told me all about your escapades at school. I will not tolerate that type of behavior in my house!"

Just keep quiet. She flinched hoping if she kept quiet, he would leave her alone. No such luck. He invaded her personal space until their noses nearly touch and sneered. She refused to cower away. She held her ground, and Rosalinda saw something flash in his eyes.

Get angry!

She got fired for something she had absolutely no control of. She was missing something that she couldn't quite put her finger on and lastly, she was just sick of it! Tired of living! Of suffering! She wanted out! Mother and her fantastical world be damn, she wasn't a very good one if she couldn't figure out how Rosalinda felt. Her fury bled into her eyes, and in a fit of rage her father slapped her.