Chapter 18: Return of the King

Enshroud your heart with my love

Engulf me in your heat

Devour me

Everything looked the same, never ending rolls of columns and gargoyle statues

Everything looked the same, never ending rolls of columns and gargoyle statues. She huffed, giving up, she pushed through the stained glass door and into the courtyard. Spotting a thick willow tree, she scaled it.

After making herself comfortable in its branches, her mind raced over the day's events. Cyriac was going to return. She didn't know whether or not to slap him for abandoning her or kiss him. She flushed, they'd only shared chaste kisses before.

Imagining herself in his arms while he whisper sweet nothings in her ears sent heat up her neck and into her face. She buried her face in her hands to try to cool her thoughts and hormones, when she noticed someone at the base of the tree watching her.

"Wow! It's not every day that this old guy here lets someone climb up." She frowned. "How did you know I was up here? You can't see me this far up?" she said moving into view.

"Can't I?" he said dubiously before a wicked smirk whipped across his face.

He did have a point. This was a school for darklings. She couldn't believe it. She was really getting used to this place.

"Turn your head."

"Why should I do that?"

"Because I'm wearing a skirt you jerk and I need to climb down," she huffed aggravated with him. Was the male species out to annoy her until she turned into a spinster? He chuckled.

"Fine," he said turning around.

"Glad to know chivalry isn't dead," she muttered getting her footing to climb down the tree.

"By the way, I do have eyes in the back of my head," he said seriously.

"Wait? What? Eh! Mother of Darkness! You perv!" she shouted ungraciously losing her footing, and falling from the tree. She braced for impact only to blink owlishly when she didn't smash into the ground. The shadows twisted from the tree forming a solid barrier around her. Woah. Amazing. Her breath escaped her a soft whoosh as she lowered herself gently to the ground.

"I'm just kidding! I can't believe you actually thought I was serious!" he said cackling.

She growled staring angrily at him. "Well, I'm new here! Sheesh! Can't a girl catch a break?" Pulling her hair tie out, she redid her ponytail as she briefly wondered if the shadows could do hair. Who wouldn't want their hair to look fabulous at all times?

"You're a looker," he said whistling. Boy, this guy sure didn't beat around the bush.

"Un thanks, but no thanks I am taken," she said shoving her embarrassment aside.