39. A Fool's Game

The end is near

Hold all that dear

Fear unfolds

Horrors are told

Shock rang through him bringing him to his knees as he took in his only home in Mortalia. There was nothing here! Nothing but a gargantuan depression in the earth where his home once sat. What exactly happened here?! Panic seized his limbs at the thought of losing the only lead to his destine. His mind shied away from the thought terrified of something happening to her. Swallowing thickly, Cyriac shuffled forward his limbs trembling at what he would find at the center of the crater. He couldn't afford to fold right now.

"Rosa!" he croaked sliding down the sloped land. This crater was the size of two massive city blocks! He needed to find his father! That bastard!

"He knows nothing!" Cyriac seethed, hatred flowing through his veins. "Damn it all!" he screamed, choking on his sobs. Reaching the center, he dug his hands into the soft ground, sending his energy into the earth. He gasped at the traces of leftover power. T-this energy belonged to death. What had his father done?! He stood ready to return to the slaugh when he caught a star falling from the sky. Shielding his eyes from the intensely bright light, he squinted into the distance. This energy, it was similar to his mother. Could it a seraphim?! Cyriac's six wings burst and he cloaked himself as he flew to meet the falling star.

Cyriac's feet touched the ground, his feet sinking into the depressions left by what he dubbed to be a falling star. Luckily for him, this part landed in a part of Mortalia where lots of farmlands grew. He frowned spotting a makeshift barrier in the center of the crater. This latest intruder had a domain. He preceded forward with caution, his heart raging within his chest. Would this lead him to Rosa? Noticing the two white wings unfurled from a back, his rationale faded.

"The welkin!" he bellowed, pushing energy through his hand to form a sword. With a roar, he tore through the domain watching the cyan color orb crack before shattering like glass. Cyriac propelled himself forward tearing through the air like a missile when a cry stopped him.

"No!" she screamed.

He paused watching a child of eight hide something behind her.

"Please don't hurt him! It's not our fault! You don't understand!"

Pausing, he frowned as something within him stopped him from hurting them. They took Rosa! They had something to do with his destine's disappearance!

"Wench!" he thundered as she sprang forward with a short sword wrapped in fire. Easily countering her move, he dipped low before sending his fist into her abdomen. Grinning in satisfaction at the choking sounds leaving her mouth, Cyriac was impressed by the elbow hammer-strike aimed at the part of his body where his neck and shoulder met. She was far too slow, and he stepped behind her cuffing the back of her neck. Squeezing, Cyriac heard her snarl as she reached behind her to try to undo his hold. He chuckled bringing her close when she suddenly drove the heel of her foot into his upper thigh.

Grunting he dropped her and his energy tore through him as his anger turned into fury. It crackled causing the grains of dirt to float around and his wings started to grow. This creature was no child, and he watched as she threw herself over another person?

"Just leave Uriel out of this," she screeched, trying to block him from view.

Cyriac frowned, now he was the bad guy. But these creatures, they had something to do with Rosa's disappearance! And not to mention his father.