40. Into the Night

Please vote.

"How lovely are the portals of the night, when stars come out to watch the daylight die."

-Thomas Cole

"The court shall not fall!" he bellowed launching his Warhammer at one invader only to rip the twin swords from his lower back and slash the enemy on his left. Zophiel's blood roared in his veins, his movements a synchronized dance of death. His breathing whizzed past his lips and his eyes darted to his right taking in the makeshift fort the angels build with the fallen pillars. Capturing Celeste's—powerful Cheribum attention, he hoped to communicate his intention. They needed to find the source of these invaders. Receiving a slight nod from her, he looked grimly at what needed to be done. They would have to cover him while he attempted to capture one and penetrate its mind.

Flanked by angels, Zophiel propelled himself into the center of the battle hoping the others would keep the invaders busy. He growled as the four-winged beast hissed at him. His fingers tightened around the war hammer, energy shooting down his arms before encasing the weapons in fire. Zophiel waited for the invaders to circle him then he pushed his energy out almost like a magic wall stunning his enemies briefly. He raised the warhammers in hand upward, colliding with the enemy attacking from above. The smell of burnt flesh wafted into his nostril causing him to scrunch his nose at the stomach curling smell. Still, he pushed the hammers forward until the invader shot out of the air like a fallen star. More angels poured into the center of the battlefield, and he flattened his wings against his back and surged forward after the fallen invader. The clash of weapons reverberated through the air accompanied by charred flesh, and warriors' cries. As the guardian of divinity, the cries of his brethren resounded within him causing his blood to bubble with new found power and he pushed forward reaching the invader tearing through the sky.

Zophiel grabbed the creature by the ankle before pulling him close. He eyes flashed upward taking in the clashes of warriors and enemy in the sky. It looked as if heavenly thunder was tearing the court apart. Regardless, he needed to find father and uncover the secrets of the invaders. Scanning the surrounding area, he deemed it safe enough to penetrate its mind, but he threw up a barrier that would warn him if someone came too close.

"I shall reveal your secrets," he mumbled clasping the invader's head in hands. Zophiel's eyes clouded before glowing white and he jumped into the mind of the invader.

He frowned, the invader's mind was so disjointed the images flashing in an unorganized fashion. How was he supposed to decipher this? It was confounding! Images of being trapped flared to life, and fear. But what did they fear? Zophiel's heart trembled, sinking into his stomach as the golden wings of the Seraphim came into view. His brethren wielded no power less than his own. Crystals fell from his eyes, his hands clenching at the latest betrayal. But it was the last image forming that silence him and sent terror through him. This creature was once a power. He let it go in shock staring at its crumpled form. Was there no way to fix this?

His ear twitched upon hearing clapping. Jerking, he turned his eyes widening in surprise as his heart trembled in his chest. Zophiel tried pushing aside his fury, but like a leech, it sat draining him of his rationale.

"How dare you spread chaos to the courts! Look what you've done to your brethren!" he bellowed, ripping the curve blades from his lower waist to attack him.

"I'm done playing this game," Seraphiel continued as if he hadn't spoken. "I'll let you choose. Which shall you choose, the life of this youngling or the courts? Tick, tock," he said, grinning malevolently.

"Ari'el!" he shouted, trying to rouse him. Zophiel stared as the seraphim floated upward with Ari'el in his arms a massive of amount of energy swelling above him.