Chapter 17: The Death of Me

Please vote.

The moon is high

The night is bright

Try with might

To not have fright

Groggily, she sat up rubbing her eyes, the blankets pooling around her waist. The familiar sight of the time spent with her father now a distant memory. However, he assured her that he would be making subtle visits to monitor her appetite and make sure he didn't accidently 'eat' any of her friends. Now to face Gora. Running her hands through her hair, she glanced at her nightstand only to see her phone vibrate. A text message. Was it from Gora? Worse, her father? Climbing out of bed, she clicked on it.

Her heart burst. It was from Cyriac. He was here! At the academy! Like the sun coming out after a rainy day, her sadness melted away replaced with elation. She leapt at the chance to tell Gora only for the previous events to crush her. Would she still want to be friends after she almost ate her? Rosalinda's heart sank at the prospect of losing her as a friend. She was her best friend, hell she was her only friend. She didn't want to spend the morning brooding, so she tossed her phone on the bed before shuffling out of her room and into the kitchenette.

"Rose! C'mon we've got class!" Gora sang coming through the front door. Rosalinda gaped thunderstruck.

"Wait, you still want to be my friend?" She tried to consume her flesh, and devour her soul. Couldn't get any worse than that.

"Hell yeah! First you're the King's destine, then turns out your Thanatos, I mean death's daughter are you insane?! Better to be on your good side than your bad side," she coming into the kitchenette and throwing her arms around her shoulders.

"You're not using me are you?" Rosalinda pouted staring at her with large grey puppy dog eyes.

She giggled. Thumping her on the nose she said, "Of course not silly. Your father does have a point. Fate has a plan for you and I. He was right when he said my father is his right hand man. It's kind of weird talking about it. I mean, I'm a demon of war and I run hells gate, at least I will when I take over with my father. That's why majority of the creatures here are scared of me."

"I guess you learn something new every day." She said shrugging her shoulders. "Just the same you're still a kick ass best friend and nice nickname."

"Well, I couldn't very well be running around whispering Rosa at you since that's what Cyriac calls you," she teased. Her face melted at her embarrassment.

"Speaking of Cyriac, look at my phone!" She squealed running to her bedroom to grab it with Gora on her heels.

"Oooo, he certainly knows how to woo a woman," she said smirking. "Now those bitches can take that, and wait to they find out that Thanatos is your dad! You're like real freaking royalty!" she said while jabbing the air.