22. Destroying Guardians

Please vote.

Bound for eternity

You seek to find an affinity

You use your last breath

To guard death.

18 years ago

18 years ago

"Mommy, I want to go outside! Can I play in water?" the three-year-old boy asked his mother. He paused happiness filling his eyes as she scooped him up in her arms and peered into his face. She kissed him on the forehead before putting him down.

"Sure sweetie, let's get our beach toys!"

A wry smile spread across her face as she watched her son playing in the warm beach sand. The wind gently tossed his locks around while the sun bathed him in the light. Gulping down the remains of her mocha latte, she moved to join him. After having Dominic so young, her boyfriend's behavior had become strange. He seemed even more obsessed with her than usual. Going as far as to obey her every command. Not that she handed out commands. It was weird. She wanted him to think for himself. When she went to premed he did too. Wherever she went, he was there waiting. He was always waiting. In the end, she packed her bags and ran from America to Australia with plans to start over. And so far, things were going well. There were instances of guilt, but she got over it. She would focus only on the positive.

Shuffling over towards Dominic, she squatted tucking a loose strand behind his ears. Her baby could do with a haircut. Rosalyn's heart tumbled through her chest as the most alluring scent hit the wind. It spoke to some primal need she didn't know she had. Her eyes crawled along the tan beach sand colliding with a pair of grey eyes buried within the sockets of an elegant oval face. His features held a sharpness about them, like he was something exotic to look at. Something ethereal. She yanked her eyes away, deciding to focus on Dominic instead. The last thing she needed was another man in her life. The need to look at him rose once more within her, and she stomped it down while sinking her hands into her baby's luscious brown locks. Stranger forgotten, they played around all morning long.

Chuckling she said, "Okay bud, we're going to have to go in soon. It's nearly time for lunch." She frowned looking at Dominic holding onto her leg. What's gotten into him? Her eyes scanned the shoreline. The crystal blue water moved gently in a sacred dance with a sea god, people milled about eating ice-cream, drinking, and enjoying the sun's glorious rays. She glanced down at her son once more to reassure him when the stranger suddenly appeared. The burning need erupted inside of her once more, she couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Dominic why don't you go in. Mommy will be in just a second," she said, stroking his dark chestnut locks. Nodding at her son, she watched him run inside.