31. Trickery of Light

In the night you flicker

Deception is your premise

Air thick of demise

You are Light

Thanatos ire calmed after speaking to his daughter. Raum was sniffing around what belonged to him, adding to the pivoting balance between realms. Now, Rosalyn was trapped in the Welkin, and things were going awry in Slaugh. War was the only option to remind those that have forgotten him, those that have forgotten death. His eyes slid over toward his daughter. A beautiful child. A child that held the essence of death within her. A child that he would destroy all of creation for. He frowned, spotting the blank look in her eyes. What was she thinking about?

"Dumu-mi?" he questioned, not liking the unease clawing up his spine.

"I'm fine, daddy," she said, standing and falling sideways toward the floor. It was such an unnatural way to collapse. He didn't like it. Sending his energy outward, he caught her before she made contact with the floor. Studying his daughters eyes, his brows furrowed as a fluttering feeling burst into his stomach. Her eyes, they paled until the iris faded away. She began convulsing in his arms, her mouth expanding. Blood spurted from her mouth like a jet stream and the fluttering in his stomach exploded.

Scooping his child up, raged with him. Seeing his child hurt erected a fury he had yet to experience in all of his existence. This fury resonated with him, summoning the gates to the most dangerous creatures in existence. Manic laughter slipped from his lips as his domain rippled, the first four seals coming undone. Now, Conquest, Famine, Plague, and War were truly free to run amuck. He wanted to see the realms crumble under his fury, but first, he must protect his Dumu-mi.

The balance shifted, and he shook his head as if to right his equilibrium. Rosalyn was involved.

"Plague, and War, seek out Mortalia," he hissed, creating a rift leading to said realm. He watched their forms disappear before turning his hollow eyes toward Conquest and Famine. "Protect her," he ordered, leaving his precious child in the care of the horsemen. "You are her last defense. The Welkin are mine," he uttered throatily, bleeding into the shadows and disappearing.

☠️☠️☠️

Dominic felt it was strange lurking in the shadows of Mortalia, a place that he once called home looking for a mother; that he really never knew. The crisp night air left him feeling refresh, and even tranquil, which was strange, considering he was studying a house that he never loved. He studied the two white rocking chairs against the navy blue colored house. This house looked happy only if people knew about the more insidious activities happening inside. He shook his head, freezing when he heard a noise come from inside of it. Hiding behind a tree, he waited for the intruder to reveal themselves.

Clinging to shadows, his eyes swept the house cursing the mystery person. He shivered thinking of Death's punishment should he fail. Seeing the ancient entity show affection for Rosalinda was unnatural. Strange. It was like the Halloween King masquerading as Santa Claus, bizarre. He flinched whenever the entity turned his hollow eyes onto him. And, he tried not to sink into a depression about the memories he regained. Rosalinda suffered alone at the hands of their father, and even Rachel hurt. Even her attitude and lack of compassion for her sister was strange. Did she sense Rose's otherworldliness? Tired of waiting for the intruder to reveal themselves, he inched closer when his vision suddenly blurred for a fraction of a second. Even the sounds of the silent night seemed distorted. He shook his head pressing a palm to his eyes to shake aside the small episode. Taking a deep breath, he moved with unnatural speed toward the craftsman styled home. A sticky substance covered the pads of his fingers, allowing him to scale the wall much like a lizard. Hearing a crash inside, he ducked into a corner by the chimney, waiting. The dull ache at the back of his head returned and he pushed past the pain, inching towards his parent's bedroom. Inside he observed a blond male rummaging through his mother's things. What was he searching for?