14 - The Day Before the Entrance Exam

Ahhh thank you all so much for the likes and comments! They make my day, seriously!! Please keep reading and enjoying the story :)

After that, Bakugou obviously wasn't magically nicer, but he definitely didn't take her for granted anymore, and she definitely noticed how he had become more considerate.

It was the little things, like how Bakugou knew her food orders at different restaurants, how he always waited for her at their spot with some snacks when she was feeling particularly drained, how he offered her good and honest pointers on how to improve and how he stood in front of her on the train when he noticed guys getting too close and making her uncomfortable.

She pretended she didn't notice the way he was slowly becoming more mindful, at least towards her, and she couldn't help the way that she felt warm inside whenever she noticed these things.

Moreover, her training with Endeavor stopped a few months before the entrance exam, to (Y/N)'s relief. Training with Endeavour was just as punishing and gruelling as she thought it would be. She couldn't help but cringe at the thought. If he's so excessive with me, I can't even imagine what it would have been like for Shouto all those years. Thinking about Shouto and his father only made her more upset, wishing more than anything that she could help him and comfort him.

The day before the entrance exam, (Y/N) and Bakugou found themselves alone together.

"I thought we weren't training today?" (Y/N) asked, puzzled as to why Bakugou was waiting for her outside the gates.

"Can't afford to slack off," he snapped, walking off and leaving her no choice but to follow him.

Training that day was harsh and gruelling, Bakugou pushing harder than he needed to, as if trying to stop himself from thinking about something. Afterwards, they both sat down next to each other, not saying a word, their limbs feeling heavy.

"Thank you," (Y/N) whispered softly, causing Bakugou to look at her in shock. "I don't know about you, but I learnt a lot these past ten months, Katsu-chan."

"Tch, shut the fuck up, freak," he said, without any heat. "Don't get sappy on me now, gross."

"That's it? Really? You're getting soft on me, short fuse," (Y/N) teased, but Bakugou's brows were furrowed.

"Bakugou? What is it?"

Slowly, he turned to look at her, "I've been wondering this for a while. But your quirk is, well arguably strong... I guess," (Y/N) fought the urge to roll her eyes at his backhanded compliment, "you used to go to a private school and you family has connections. You could probably have easily gotten into UA through recommendation if you really tried, am I right?"

(Y/N) groaned, "sometimes I hate that you're so smart," she moaned, causing him to scowl at her. "I...I have my reasons."

"Obviously. I want to know what the fuck they are."

(Y/N) gave him a teasing smile, "oh? Interested, are we?"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING IDIOT! I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY THE FUCK YOU WOULD GO THROUGH SUCH LENGTHS-"

"Because I don't want to rely on them. On my father and mother, on their connections. I don't want to get into UA and become a hero in their name. I don't want them to have control over my life, and it frustrates me that they actually have such a huge influence on me and my future actions."

"Future actions?"

(Y/N) looked away, "it's a long story, but my family has plans for what my hero career and...and also my personal life should entail in the future. I don't want them to dictate my future. Me getting into UA is a big deal, and I want to do it through my own efforts and to be proud of what I have accomplished instead. Not that I think it's a bad thing to get through on recommendation! It's just, I thought for me it would be better to do something people didn't expect me to, you know? I want to not give people reasons to doubt me, my actions and my resolve ever again."