Chapter 18

It was dark and rain was poring down hard, and of cores this was the day that Emma decided to head to Gorlan. Emma had made up her mind that she would spend the night at Halts tonight and travel the rest of the way in the morning. Emma couldn't wait to live in castle Gorlan, right now she lived in castle Araluen. She would always be needed some were around hear, and castle Gorlan would make things a lot easier. Soon Emma was able to make out the interior of Halts cabin. Emma let out a sigh of relief as she thought of a worm bed and a hot drink. Emma got off her horse and brought in to the small stable Halt had. They she walked over to Halts front door and nocked. She didn't have to wait long before a tired looking halt opened the door.

"Emma what are you doing hear this time of night?" Halt didn't seem surprised, which Emma thought was weird for a moment, but then she realized that Abelard had welcomed her and that Halt must have hear it.

"I'm sorry to bother you at this hour, but I was heading to castle Gorlan when the rain hit." Halt nodded his head in understanding and Emma walked inside. It was a lot cleaner then the last time Emma had been there. That's when Emma realized that Halt had just been cleaning.

"I take Nyx isn't the cleanest of kids." Emma said with a slight smile.

"Now that's an under statement." Halt said sitting down on the couch. Emma then realized that she was dripping all over the floor. Halt waved she towards his room to change. Emma nodded gratefully and then when into his room and got in her bag and pulled our an extra pair of cloths, one of the only things that managed to stay dry.

After Emma was done changing she went into the kitchen and found Halt making two cups of coffee. He handed her one and Emma took it gratefully. They both sat down on the couch in silence for a couple minuets before Emma broke it.

"Halt, Pauline came to me the other day and asked about you." Halt just sat there drinking his coffee, but she could tell that she had his focus.

"She's worried about you, she feels like your being distant. Now I know why you are, but I couldn't just tell Pauline." Emma paused for a moment and then continued.

"Halt I think you should tell her." Halt was shaking his head ever before Emma had finished.

"I can't put her in that kind of danger. We have idea who this man is, or exactly what he's he can do."

Emma could tell that she wasn't going to win the argument.

"Ok, but you should at least talk to her, she's just worried about you." Halt nodded. I got up sat my cup on the table.

"I think I'll turn in for the night."

"Take my room, I can sleep on the couch." Halt said as he sat his cup on the table next to mind.

"Are you shore?" I asked, Halt just nodded. I walked into his room and laid in his bed. As she lay there the only sound that could be heard was the rain falling on the ruff. That is until Emma heard the screaming.