Chapter 36

It only took Halt one day for him to be healed enough to travel back to Redmont. Even though Crawly insisted that he should stay for another day to make shore he was fully healed, but Halt obviously not going to stay any longer then he needed to. Halt and Crawly said their goodbyes and they both headed off to Redmont. As they rode back to Redmont Halt took this opportunity to ask Crawly what he thought about the man that wonted to get to his daughter.

" I don't know what to think, Halt. This man obviously doesn't want to be found, believe me I looked." Crawly said. Halt nodded. He had assumed as much. No one had heard anything from the man since Halt had told Pauline about Nyx. Halt didn't no weather to be glad about or not. It just made him uneasy. Halt knew the man would not just give up.

After a couple hours they made it back to Redmont. Crawly went to go explain everything to Emma, while Halt went to go see his wife and daughter. As Halt walked up to the door of his wife's room, he could hear Nyx making little noises as she played with her toys. Halt opened the door and immediately Nyx ran into his arms.

"Daddy!" Nyx called as she ran into Halts arms. Halt picked her up and hugged her. Pauline turned around and saw Halt. She stood up and walked over to Halt. She hugged him and told him how much she had missed him.

"I missed you both as well." Halt said as he put down his daughter.

"How have you and Nyx been?" Halt asked as he and Pauline sat down at the table, and Nyx went back to playing with her toys.

"Just fine. What about you, what happened?" Pauline asked. Halt told her everything that had happened. Pauline couldn't help but feel afraid for her husband as she heard what happened.

After they spoke for about an hour Emma called Halt into her office. When Halt walked in Emma was sitting at her desk papers in hand.

"Halt, good to see you back in one peace." Emma said as she put down her papers and walked over to a large bookshelf that covered the hole back wall, save for a window in the middle. Emma pulled out a book and handed it Halt.

"What's this for" Halt asked. Emma didn't answer, so Halt looked at the title of the book "Halt O'Carrick" Halt stared at the cover of the book for a moment before opening his mouth to speak, but before he could Emma cut him off.

"I found that sitting on my desk when I woke up." Halt stared at her for a moment, knowing that both of them were thinking the same thing. Halt opened the book and started reading. What he read made his stomach churn. This book was about him, his life, and it was all true. Halt looked up at Emma.

"I read it." Emma said

"Who, how?" Halt said in almost a whisper. Halt felt as though he was going to be sick. The book had things in it from his life that no one knew and that Halt would have liked to forget. Emma then said what was on both of their minds.

"The person who wants Nyxs." Halt nodded. Both of them just stood there for a moment not wanting to speak. Emma then walked over to Halt and took the book out of his hands.

"I will hold on to this, and see what I can dig up. You should go be with your family, I will tell you if I find anything." Emma said. Halt nodded. As Halt walked out of the room he looked back at Emma, who gave him a week smile.

Emma sat at her desk and thinking about everything that has been happening. It just seemed so wired and scary. To think that someone knew so much about Halt and wanted his daughter was a very tariffing prospect.

"I need to find out who this man is!" Emma said as she walked out of the room to go see an old friend.