Chapter 26

Emma spent the hole week planning the banquet. She made a point to not tell anyone about Nyx, she wanted it to be a surprise. Emma invited all of their closest friends and then some. She invited all the rangers that were closest to Halt, that they could spare of cores. Of cores she invited the king and princess, Arold, his wife, Rodney, Horace, Jenny, old Bob, who was a good friend, these were only a few of the people she invited.

Today was the day, everything was set up perfectly. Emma had asked master chub a few days earlier to get all the food made. Soon people started coming in. Emma made it so everyone thought they were being invited to a banquet for the desine to rebuild Gorlan castle. Halt and Pauline were in another room with Nyx getting ready. Pauline was dressed in a beautiful yet simple dress. Halt just had on what he always did. Pauline had put Nyx in a little light blue dress that had been made for her, and even Halt had to admit that she was absolutely adorable. Pauline put Nyx's short brown hair in two tiny pig tales, with small light blue ribbons that matched the dress tying them. Over the week Nyx had learned how to run, and now no one could get her to stop. Nyx had been walking for a long time, but she had never before ran, and Halt thought she was starting to become a handful. Halt and Pauline watched as their daughter ran around the room with the stuffed horse that she loved so much. Every so often Nyx was turn and smile widely at them. Over the week Nyx had grown to like Pauline and even started calling her mom. Once in a wile Halt would see tears start to form in pauline's eyes. Halt new that Nyx was a huge change in their lives, but he new that it was worth it. he had never none what it would be like to be a father, and now he knew. All the love that he felt for this little girl was more then he ever thought possible, and he new Pauline felt the same way.

Soon everyone had shone up, they all sat around talking and laughing as they ate the food that was made for them. Emma sat shaking with excitement of what was to come. As everyone had been served Emma stood up and everyone quieted down to hear what she had to say.

"Friends, I suppose you all believe you are hear just as a banquet for the rebuilding of Gorlan." Everyone nodded, and Emma spoke again.

"Well that is not the hole reason. I have a very special surprise for you all. Or rather Ranger Halt and Lady Pauline had a surprise for you all." As she said this the doors opened. Everyone looked to see who was coming through. It was Pauline and Halt. Emma heard gasps of surprise as they saw that Halt was carrying a little girl. Pauline and Halt carrying Nyx came over and sat down at two chars next to Emma. As they sat down Emma turned to speak.

"Lady's and Gentlemen I am pleased to introduce you to Ranger Halt and Lady Pauline's daughter Nyx O'Carreck." As she said this everyone gasped and stared in amazement. Nyx then slipped of of Halts arms and started walking on the table.

"Nyx." Halt called as Emma started laughing as Nyx sat in Arold's food. Emma started laughing even harder, and she was joined by others. Halt walked around the table and picked Nyx up. As he did he got food all over himself. As if to add to that Nyx grabbed some food off the table and before Halt could stop her Nyx put the food on Halt's head which then fell onto his face. Everyone started laughing this time. Pauline walked over trying not to laugh and took Nyx from Halt, who then grabbed a napkin and wiped his face off. The rest of the evening went smoothly. A bunch of people held Nyx on their laps as she sat there playing with the stuffed horse toy Halt went to get so she would stop climbing on the table. the rangers were really excited as they were told that they would all be her uncles, given that the rangers were all as close as brothers, more then so Halt and Crawly. Arold and Sandra were told that they would be the Nyx's godparents. They were both so happy to hear this. Nyx seemed to like everyone, some how she could tell that they were all friendly. Soon everyone sat around and just talked over how everything was going to go. They all decided that Pauline and Halt would to split the care of their daughter, there was nothing anyone cold do. The good thing was they weren't that far from each other. and this would happen anyway with then going on missions and such. Through all this Nyx was content to run around the room with her horse and make horse noises. then it was time to tell everyone how Halt found Nyx. When Halt had told them everything he could tell that everyone was mad at the man who would want to hurt Nyx. Crawly said that he would inform every rangers of this man. the king also said he would have people look for this man. Everyone stayed for another hour, then they had to leave. Soon everyone had said their goodbyes and left. When everyone had gone it was around 9:30 and Nyx was lying down on the ground asleep. Halt picked her up and took her to the room they had been staying in. Halt layed her on the bed and kissed her. At that moment he realized that no matter what happened he would not let anything happen to his daughter, nothing.