Chapter 25

So far everything was quiet. Nothing being stolen no one fighting, and no sign of the black cloaked man. Nyx was now running around Halts cabin, and playing around. It had been a year since Halt had found Nyx, so he used this date as Nyx's birthday. Little Nyx was now three, and she was a talker. Halt would sit down at his table and Nyx would be on the couch playing with her toys and talking away. Not that any of it was actual words, but she was trying.

So far no one has asked any questions about Nyx. Emma has been asking Halt if they could tell someone, but he wouldn't let her. Halt just doesn't want anyone to get hurt. But that all changed when Pauline came to visit.

"Pauline, its so good to see you!" Emma said as she hugged the diplomat.

"Have you seen Halt?" Pauline asked. Emma smiled.

"Getting right to the point, are we?" Pauline smiled. She was glad to see Emma, but she missed her husband. Now that he was Ranger of Gorlan fife she didn't see him as often as she would have liked. In that moment the door opened and Halt walked in. Halt froze as he saw Pauline and started to back up when Nyx ran under his legs and into the room. Nyx ran over and hugged Emma.

"Em!" Nyx said. Emma had told the little girl that she could call her Em because it was easier for her to say.

"Who is this?" Pauline said smiling at the little girl. Nyx, who was a very shy girl ran over to Halt and hid behind his legs.

"It's ok Nyx, this is Pauline, she's a friend." Emma said and Nyx peeked out from behind Halt. Nyx was a smart little girl. As Halt pulled her out from behind him, she new that the only time Halt took her to Emma was when Halt needed to go.

"Papa no go." Nyx said as she hugged Halts leg tightly. Everyone in the room froze. It didn't just shock Pauline, but Halt and Emma as well. Nyx has never call Halt papa before.

"Halt, your going to have to tell her." Emma said. Pauline looked right at Halt.

"Tell me what?" She asked. So he did. Halt told Pauline everything. How he had found the girl and why he didn't tell anyone. Pauline just sat there as composed as ever listening to Halts story. When Halt finished They all sat there for a moment before Pauline spoke.

"Well it looks to me like Nyx likes you." Pauline said as she looked at Nyx who was still hugging Halts leg.

"I just have one question." Pauline said. Emma and Halt looked at her waiting to hear it.

"Why haven't you adopted her yet?" Pauline smiled. Halt just sat there stunned.

"Because you didn't know." Halt said.

"Well now I do. And I say we should adopt her." Pauline smiled.

"Well in that case I will grab the papers." Emma said as she walked over to her desk and pulled out some papers. Pauline and Halt both signed them and Nyx was now their daughter.

Pauline was so happy. She had always wanted a daughter, but she didn't know how Halt would react if she told him that she was thinking about adoption. Now she had a daughter. Emma bent down so she was looking at Nyx.

"Nyx, Halt is you dad, and Pauline is your mom." Emma said. Nyx looked at Halt.

"That's right Nyx, this is your mom." Halt said. Pauline smiled at the little girl. Nyx then ran over and hugged Pauline. If Halt had said that this was her mom Nyx believed him. Pauline hugged the girl back tears forming in her eyes, but she held them back. Emma was so happy for them both, but she new now that it would be hard for them to do this with them living so far apart. Emma didn't press the matter, she would talk to them about it latter.

"Halt, I think we should tell everyone." Pauline said. Halt sat there for a moment thinking, and then he nodded. They had a right to know. it was one thing when Halt was just looking after the girl, it's another thing to have her as his daughter. That sounded strange to Halt, his daughter.

"Yes we should." Halt said

"I will invite everyone to castle Redmont for a feast, you can tell then there." Emma said. Halt looked at her, Emma smiled at him.

"Don't worry, just the people who know you the best." Emma said.

With that Halt Pauline, and their daughter Nyx left and Emma started planning for the feast.