Chapter 24

When Emma could no longer see any of then she walked over to the place that was once the room Nyx had been sleeping in. Emma grabbed a stick and carefully dug around in what was left of Halt's cabin, until she found what she was looking for. The sight was horrible. The man that had been killed while trying to kidnap Nyx was just a skull and bones, but Emma could tell it was the man. The object that had stabbed him was still lodged in his chest. Emma didn't know why she looked for the man, she guessed it was to make shore that the cold looking stiff figure she saw that night was real. Emma walked away from Halt's cabin and then looked back taking in everything. At least she thought to herself they had finished building a cabin for Halt in Gorlan. Emma just hoped Halt would live long enough to see it. No, she couldn't talk like that. This was Halt, if anyone could survive a stab wound Halt could.

As Emma rode back to Redmont castle she remembered Nyx. What was she going to do with Nyx. Emma thought. She couldn't tell anyone about her, at least not without asking Halt. Emma was going to have to think of something and fast.

Emma walked down the hall and into the room were Halt was sleeping. Emma was glad to see that Halt was sleeping soundly. She then took in the people that were in the room. Everyone who had been with Halt in these past few days was there, but there were also a couple other rangers. They were older rangers, so Emma guessed that they were some of the rangers that were with Halt and Crawly when they were trying to defeat Morgarath. Emma stood there for a moment not knowing what to say, when Halts hand started moving. It seemed that Emma was the only one who noticed it. At first she thought it was her imagination, but then Halt started moving his fingers one at a time. Still it seemed that Emma was the only one who noticed it. Emma thought that Halt had probable been doing it for a while and it was nothing new for the others. Emma started to walk forward, when she was at arms reach from Halt, she bent down and whispered that Nyx was ok in his ear. Emma then turned to leave when Halt arm shot up and grabbed hers. Emma turned around in a flash, everyone just stood there speechless as Halt held his grip on Emma. It was a couple minuets before Emma spoke.

"Halt?" She asked. Finally to everyone's joy Halt opened his eyes.

"Ya?" Halt said as he jokingly answered she question.

"Halt! your awake!" Emma said as Halt let go of her arm.

"Did you find the guy who got crushed by a tree?" Halt said. Emma laughed.

"Yes Halt we did." With that everyone started to talk with Halt, saying how glad they were that he was ok. Pauline and Crawly looked the more excited then anyone.

Within a couple days Halt was back on his feet. Emma told Halt the story she made up about Nyx. And Emma told Arold and his wife that she found out that the girls parents lived in a village not to far from Gorlan, and that when her and Halt left they would take the girl with them. They believed Emma, and after they all said good bye Emma, Halt, and Nyx headed to their new home in Gorlan fife.