Chapter 20

The storm lasted hours, and Emma thought it would never end. No matter how hard Emma tried she just couldn't fall asleep with the wind and rain bashing the side of the cliff were the cave was. Emma, Halt and Nyx were as far back in the cave as they could get, and as the rain came in threw the cave opening they were in the small bit that was still dry. Emma couldn't see anything in the dark cave, so all she could do was sit there and wait for the storm to be over.

When the storm ended, and the first hint of sunlight came in threw the cave Emma look at Halt and Nyx. Halt looked at Emma for a moment, then at Nyx. Nyx lay under Halts cloak as Halt rapped it around her. She was fast asleep, Emma looked at Nyx in a amazement at how she was able to fall asleep with all that noise that was going on.

"We should get to Redmont Castle." Emma said and Halt nodded. Halt lifted the sleeping Nyx and handed her to Emma, who gently held her trying not to wake her. Halt started to get up, but when he did, he dubbled over in pain and fell to the ground.

"Halt!" Emma yelled as she quickly got to his side, surprised that Nyx didn't wake up.

"Halt, what's wrong?" Emma asked, before she saw the blood coming from Halts side. Then she saw that most of Halts cloke was covered in blood, and Emma realized that Halt had been bleeding for a long time.

"Halt' when did this happen?" Emma asked as Halt cringed in pain.

"In-in the forest last night." Halt managed to say threw the new jolts of pain that flashed threw his body, as he spoke.

"You've been bleeding all night? Why didn't you tell me?" Emma asked as new blood started to spill from the wound.

"We would never have made in back with Nyx." Halt said. Emma looked over the wound and realized that she would not be able to treat it.

"Halt, I'm going to have to go for help." Emma said to Halt. Halt opened his mouth to speak as another rush of pain rolled threw.

"O-ok." Halt said. Emma then turned around and went out of the cave. Emma didn't see ether of the horses, so she started running in the direction of Redmont.

Halt new he was about to loose conchusness the moment Emma left. The pain that he was feeling was almost unbarable. He had been able to hide his pain from Emma for a while. It didn't hurt as much until now. Sitting in for hours kept Halt from moving in any way that would give him sharp pains, but when Emma had said that they should get back to Redmont Halt wanted nothing more. So in a moment of forgetfulness Halt stood up. The rush of pain Halt felt was horrible. As Emma left Halts vision started fading in and out of focus until he blacked out.

Emma ran to Redmont as fast as she could. Nyx woke up after she had only been running for a little bit. Luckily Nyx just held onto Emma. Redmont came into view and soon Emma was running to the door. The guards let her pass by without a second thought. One of the perks of her job Emma thought. Emma ran down the hall and into the main room. There to her delight was, Arold, Crawly, Pauline, Arold wife, and James. They looked at Emma when she came running in. Emma had to stop for a moment to catch her breath.

"What's wrong Emma?" James asked. Nyx started crying again, so Emma walked over a gave her to Arolds wife.

"Hear, can you hold her?" Emma asked still out of breath.

"Yes." She said as she took Nyx from Emma. Of cores Nyx was still crying, she hatted it when someone she didn't know held her, but Emma had to think of Halt.

"James!" Emma yelled even though James was standing next to her.

"What is it!" James asked.

"Halt needs medical attention!" Emma said as she started running back out of the room.

"What do you mean, Halt needs medical attention!" James yelled after her, as he, Pauline, Crawly, and Arold ran after her. Emma ran over to someone and said she needed to barrow his horse. Knowing who she was the man let her. Pauline, Arold, and James grabbed some horses that were already saddled. And Crawly grabbed his horse. They all started ridding after Emma, trying to keep up with her. They rode for about five minuets before Emma suddenly stopped. Everyone else got off there horses. Emma stopped for just a moment as she saw a trail of blood coming out from inside the cave. E very one else saw it to, and they all when pail. They all went into the cave led by Emma. When they only went a little ways into the cave they saw Halt lying on the ground surrounded by a pool of his own blood. No one could move they were all shocked to see Halt like this. James only froze for a moment before he started checking to see were the blood was coming from. James found the sores of the wound on Halts side.

"He's lost a lot of blood." James said

"Is he-?" Emma started to say, and James realized that they all thought he was dead. He thought so at first, because you couldn't tall if he was breathing it was so slow.

"He's alive, but we have to get him back or he wont be for long." James said and Crawly leaned down and picked Halt up as gently as he could, and they all got on their horses and rode back to Redmont.

Rangers Apprentice: Something MissingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara