1- Josie

A/N: This chapter is super short, but I promise there is more to come

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hummed lightly as my fingers moved swiftly on the keyboard. My foot gently tapped the small black faux fur rug under my desk. My eyes focused on the computer screen in front of me.

"You look like hell.", I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked up to see my best friend, Lilly, holding two cups of espresso. She handed one to me.

"I have to finish copying and editing three manuscripts by midnight. I haven't slept in 16 hours.", I said before downing my espresso, burning my tongue in the process.

"Damn.", she handed me the second espresso.

Lilly pulled her laptop out her bag and sat beside me. She picked a manuscript off my desk and began working.

"I love you."

"I know."

We smiled at each other and went back to work.

By 11:45, we managed to finish all of my manuscripts.

Lilly walked over to her desk and pulled out two glasses and a bottle of champagne.

I cocked my head to the side and laughed.

"I think you may have a problem."

"Come on. We need to be celebrating. We're both about to get a promotion, You just got engaged, and I am having the best sex of my life."

I laughed while pouring a drink.

"Of course."

"So, how does it feel being engaged?"

"It's fine, I guess. It kinda feels the same. We're waiting on Malcolm's family to get back from the cruise and then we'll have a small wedding."

"What about your family?"

"What about them?"

"Will they be there?"

"Why would they? I want nothing to do with them."

"Josie, you can't cut them out your life. I don't know what happened, but they're your family."

"They stopped being my family a long time ago."

She looked at me with soft eyes and poured me another drink.

Her phone began vibrating and her face lit up with excitement once she picked it up.

"John?"

"Yep. Be right back."

She answered and walked away.

My phone vibrated. It was a text message from a private number I hesitantly opened the text.

Now that's how a girlfriend greets her lover. Unlike the semi-depressed "Hi, M" text Malcolm gets from you. I wonder how you would've greeted Rocco.

My heart raced as I finished reading. I began to shake. I felt so exposed. I stood up and looked around to see if anyone else was here.

"What's wrong?"

I jumped at the sound of Lilly's voice.

I shakily handed her my phone.

"We're being watched."

"Do you know who this could be?"

"No idea."

"Who's Rocco?"

"Someone that isn't important."

My phone vibrated again.

You think you're scared now, I'm just getting started. See you soon, JoJo.

I've never been so scared in my life.