10-Josie

My phone has been glitching since the iOS 13 update, so please excuse any typos.

I watched as Lilly cocked her head to the side.

"I was 15 when I realized I had feelings for him. I was 16 when I first kissed him and we started dating and we broke up the day before I ran away."

"Is that why you ran? Because of a breakup?", I heard Neal say.

I turned and saw him standing behind me.

"I left because I had a broken heart, a brother who would love to see me dead, and a mother who didn't really want me. I wasn't welcomed at home anymore. I had to leave."

He wrapped his arms around me.

"You will always be welcomed. Understand me? Joey's an ass. You can't listen to him, okay?"

I nodded and wiped my tears.

"I missed you, Neal."

"I missed you more, Jo."

I smiled when he said my old nickname.

We pulled apart as the bell ranged three times.

Neal and Lilly headed towards their rooms.

Five minutes later, Rocco entered our room.

He tried to make eye contact with me, but I looked down.

Suddenly, we heard the door lock.

I rushed to the door and tried to open it. It didn't budge.

"Why did they lock us in here?", I asked frightened.

Rocco walked over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"We're gonna be okay."

I finally looked at him and I felt a nostalgic feeling. I felt safe.

I finally pushed him away and sat on the bed.

Suddenly, Rocco's phone went off.

"Doesn't this feel so familiar? Being locked in a room together. Being closed off from the world where no one could see.", he read before looking at me.

I put my head in my hands but looked up when I heard the TV turn on.

A video started playing and I recognized my old room.

I was sleeping in my bed and then I began screaming.

"Oh my god. I remember this. I'm 15 in this video. Whoever this is has been watching us for a long time."

I stood up and turned back to the TV and saw Rocco rush into my room. He turned on my lamp and sat on my bed. I was crying.

"Jo, it's okay. It was just a nightmare. I'm here.", he said as he pulled me on his lap.

I watched my past self lay her head on his chest and drift back to sleep.

"Why is he even playing this? Nothing happened that night."

I looked at him.

"That night you made me feel safe. It was the night I realized I had feelings for you."

I looked at him to see his reaction. I watched as the shock on his face turned into a smug smirk.

"Really?", he said as he walked closer to me.

"Yeah, but that was before you turned out to be an asshole."

An angry expression appeared on his face.

"You're the one who left without a trace. You left me without saying goodbye."

"Because you broke me. You broke me, Rocco. You made me feel like I mattered. Like you gave a damn about me. You made me believe you actually loved me, then you broke my heart.", my voice was beginning to crack as I held back tears.

He looked as if it pained him to hear me say that.

"I did nothing but love you."

I laughed dryly.

"So are we going to pretend you didn't sleep with Nina?"

I was awakened by the sound of glass breaking followed by yelling.

I got out of bed and followed the noise, which led me to the living room.

Rocco was bleeding and lying on top of what used to be our glass coffee table. Joey was giving him the death glare.

"What the hell is going on?"

They both looked at me.

"He had sex with Nina. You know how I feel about her!", Joey said before kicking Rocco.

Oh my god. He wouldn't do that. Would he really cheat on me?

Rocco looked at me and then back down.

I can't do this. I have to go.

I went upstairs and locked my door. I began packing a few bags.

"I made one mistake, Jo. You didn't let me explain."

"What is there to explain? You cheated on me with my friend. I lov- You know what? It doesn't matter anymore. I'm over it. I'm engaged. Malcolm would never hurt me."

"Is that why you're with him? Because you don't want to get hurt again. Josie, that's not what love is."

"And how would you know what love is?"

"Because you were the love of my life. You still are. Josie, what happened between me an-"

"-Stop. I don't care and I don't wanna hear it. I just wanna get back to my life and get the hell away from you.", I spat.

I heard him mumble something under his breath.

Being locked in this room made me realize something.

I hate Rocco James.