14- Jesse

Short chapter

I looked over to see Neal deep in thought.

"Babe, are you okay?"

His head snapped up.

"It's probably nothing.", he said while shaking his head.

I sat closer to him.

"What is it? Is this about your dad and Mama J?"

He shook his head.

"No. No. Do you think it's weird that those videos were mostly about Josie, Joey, Rocco, and Jen?"

I thought on it. He was right. I wonder why.

I nodded.

"It's probably just a coincidence."

He sighed and snuggled closer to me.

I kissed him gently.

Suddenly, I heard the door opening and being slammed shut.

We pulled apart to see Josie pacing in front of us.

"Jo?"

"He kissed me."

We both sat up on the bed.

"Rocco kissed you?"

"Yes and then I kissed him!", She said as she rubbed her eyes.

She looked so disgusted with herself.

"Jo, you loved him. You loved him for a long time. He broke your heart, but that doesn't make that love disappear. Stop being so hard on yourself."

She nodded then smiled at us.

"I missed you guys.", she said as she hugged us.

"We missed you too. I'm sorry we missed so much of your life."

"No, I'm the one who ran. I started a new life and tried to erase my old one."

"So, tell us about this new life."

"After I ran, I moved in with my old foster sister. She made sure I kept my grades up and graduated, so I could get into college. She got me into this creative writing program. I'm an editor now. I'm engaged to a great guy who is probably worried sick right now. I'm happy."

"Do you love him?", Neal asked excitedly.

"He's a really great guy. He makes me feel loved and happy."

I could tell she was forcing a smile.

Neal and I looked at each other.

"So, you love him?"

"Why do you keep asking me that?"

"Because you've barely spoke his name since we've been here. Neal is the love of my life and I can't even put into words how much he means to me, or at least not like you just did about your fiancé. It's structured. It's rehearsed. It's something you tell yourself, isn't it?", I spoke honestly.

Her eyes softened as she sighed.

"Something's wrong with me.", she sounded defeated. She was on the verge of tears.

"What?"

"He has a great job and family. He treats me so well. He's kind. He's patient. He's stable. He's so loving, but I just can't reciprocate. I don't feel that way and when he asked the question, I agreed to marry him because that's what you're supposed to do. You get a career and a house, then you get married and have kids. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I was made wrong."

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Jo, it's okay to not to feel the same way about him.", I said as I hugged her.

Neal wrapped his arms around both of us.

"I can't believe I went so long without contacting you two. I miss y'all so much.", I said as I wiped my tears.

"It's okay, JoJo. We could never stay mad at you. You're family."