16-Jennifer

Here's a short, sweet chapter to give you some context into this family.

I turned another page in the photo album and smiled at the picture of Joey in the bathtub.

I looked down and saw a picture of Joey and Josie. It was the day Josie came to live with us. They were standing awkwardly next to each other.

I stared at the picture and remembered how frightened Josie's eyes were as I snapped the photo.

I wonder why she was so afraid. I never asked about her previous foster families. I guess I'll never know.

"What's that, Mom?"

"Photo album."

"Is that me and Josie?", he said as he sat down next to me.

"Yeah. On her first day with us."

"We were babies. She was a baby. She looks so scared."

"She does. I was just wondering why."

A flicker of a smile started to appear on Joey's face before it vanished.

"Not like she'll ever tell us."

"It's okay to miss her, Joey. You two were getting close before the fight and if you two had actually sat down and talked about it, you may have gotten even closer."

He sighed.

My stubborn boy hates being wrong. He must've gotten that from his father.

"And it's okay to miss the guys. Yes, there was so much wrong that happened back then, but that was so long ago. Forgive each other and move on because tomorrow isn't promised to us, especially while we're still stuck in here."

"Maybe you're right, mom. But you should sit and have a talk with her too. She still remembers the fight between you two."

I nodded slowly as I remembered the argument in great detail.

"Why are you always taking his side?! I didn't do anything!", Josie yelled.

"I'm not taking his side, Josie. I want to know what happened, but I also need to protect my child!", I shouted before realizing what I just said to her.

She took a step back and looked at me. She looked hurt and angry.

"I thought I was your child too..", she said. I winced as her voice cracked.

"Josie, I-I'm s-"

She ran to her room and slammed the door.

Our relationship was never the same.

"You're right, honey."

He bear hugged me, making me chuckle. He always knows how to make me smile.

"You've always been my sweet boy."

"You raised me that way."