13 | j e a l o u s y

EVERY NERVE IN MY BODY is high on the remnants of Amber's lips

EVERY NERVE IN MY BODY is high on the remnants of Amber's lips. We kissed. Kissed. The girl that I've been in love with for years finally kissed me.

I feel like Gene Kelly from one of Pepper's favorite musicals, Singing in the Rain. I could practically skip down this hall grinning like a fool while my mind replays every intense second of her lips against mine. The awe on her face was riveting after I left her to wonder if it would lead to anything.

Will it lead to something? I have no clue with my current situation with Pepper.

Pepper. I've gotta tell her about this.

Finding her is never difficult. There's never a day where I don't find her residing somewhere around the theater when she's feeling lost and wants me to find her. The majority of students and teachers are still at lunch, leaving the area ghost-like. I take agile steps to avoid my boots thundering down the ramp and catch the echo of disembodied voices coming from the stage.

The second I'm past the backstage door and through the curtains, I find Pepper sitting cross-legged in front of her ex-boyfriend, Dominic, from a year ago. They're chatting and giggling about something in an airy atmosphere that guides ivory green to seep into me.

Guess she doesn't need me after all.

I want to step back, but then, I can't leave them alone. For a fraction of a second, the dumbest part of me is afraid that this very moment could lead to Pepper going back to him. They've already dated once, what's stopping them now?

I can't let her do that to herself. A rebound is the last thing she needs; especially when there's a chance to awaken her feelings for me.

"Hey, Luc." Dominic's gaze locks with mine, snatching my only chance to escape.

Pepper turns and her face immediately brightens. My heart lurches and I have to bite back a smile to keep from looking like a fool. Sometimes I adore the way she gazes at me as if my mere existence brings her warmth. How had I never noticed this chemistry before?

"Hey." I offer a light wave before shoving my hands into the front pocket of my hoodie. "Thought I'd find you in here."

"Thought I'd be crying, didn't you?" she asks mockingly.

"Maybe." I slink over to them and linger beneath the gentle glow of stage lights. "You didn't show up to lunch. I got a little worried about you."

"I'm just helping Dom with his monologue. Auditions are coming up soon."

"More like laughing at my monologue," he teases and pushes her arm. "I haven't gotten through the third line without you laughing."

On cue, a bubbly giggle slips and she covers her grinning mouth. "I'm sorry! You just have the cutest serious face."