65 | p u r p o s e

AFTER AMBER'S ADVISORY, I've tried my best to keep my word

AFTER AMBER'S ADVISORY, I've tried my best to keep my word. Throughout finals week, I haven't hovered over Pepper or demanded answers from her. Even when I run into Lucas, I ignore him and any desire to grill him on what he's done to her. It's been torturous trying to kill my curiosity, but also a relief to see the truth in Amber's advice. Slowly but surely, Pepper is finding it easier to navigate through the school grounds without terror in her eyes. Her fear is still evident, but not as severe as it was her first day back. Any class she shares with Lucas, they've sat on the opposite side of the room. He hasn't approached her since.

Partially against my will, I stay after school with Pepper to attend her musical's first dress rehearsal. Multiple snide remarks form in my mind, but I bite my tongue and follow her down the hall into the theatre area. Usually, I would never voluntarily come near this place.

Not only do theatre kids intimidate me, but I find musicals to be one of the cheesiest things on the planet. Though according to Pepper, that's the charm in them.

As her ride home, she's already gotten permission for me to sit in on their dress rehearsal, so I get to suffer through the mess of amateur actors attempting to put a show together two days before opening night. "How much does a costume designer actually have to do in a dress rehearsal?" I mumble more to myself as the echoes of lively theatre kids reach us.

Pepper whips her head, curls flying over her shoulder, to greet me with narrowed eyes. "It's a dress rehearsal, Mason. Not only am I catching up, but I have to take notes, keep costumes organized, and be there for the actors. You promised not to complain."

"Okay." I throw my hands up. "I'm sorry. Not complaining."

Agitation huffs from her lips and she turns her attention back down the hall that leads to the auditorium. I bite back a smile as fond memories flesh out in my mind. It's so resemblant of all the times she'd get worked up about costumes and deadlines before a show. I'd always tease her about it, to which she'd complain about how I didn't appreciate the art of theatre.

Despite the discomfort this place brings, there's also a joy that births inside me just seeing her love and passion for it all.

As we pass the girl's dressing room, Amber spins around the corner and nearly walks right into a speed walking Pepper. "Hey!" She grins and holds her shoulders before they collide. "Someone's in a hurry."

"All cast and crew members have to be in the auditorium," Pepper pants and whips out her phone to check the time. "I have four minutes."

"And enough time to find a seat." Amber displays the camera around her neck with a quirk in her smile. "I am getting some interviews with the cast members to capture their pre-show jitters."

Pepper licks her lips in angst and looks over Amber's shoulder to the girls lounging around the dressing room. "As long as they're in their seats in time."