18 | h o n e s t y

FOUR DAYS is not nearly enough time to prepare for my 'date' with Pepper

FOUR DAYS is not nearly enough time to prepare for my 'date' with Pepper. Even if it's only for show in her eyes, it's an opportunity in mine.

Over the last few days, we've fallen back into our platonic routine with the smallest hints of chemistry hidden beneath. A kiss on her cheek or forehead seems to make her nervous. There are times when she tenses when I have my arm over her shoulders or around her waist. Coming over to watch movies allows so much tension as we recall how the exact same action led us to have sex.

Drunk sex.

That's the difference. That's the defining factor between then and what's to come. I have four nights to prepare to charm the girl who taught me how to be charming in the first place.

A million and one worries circle my mind as I sift through my dad's closet in search of something that'll impress Pepper and match her glittery blue dress. Though imagining her thrilled face when she sees me shaved and dressed up conquers them all. She'll be so excited to see me out of my regular attire. Of all the people she's made costumes for, I'm Pepper's favorite person to dress up.

The slam of the front door and keys hitting our wooden side table echoes from downstairs. Dad's low rumbling voice is immediately recognizable and I draw in a relieved breath.

He can help.

I pull down a black suit still in its plastic cover and hold it up to my body. "I'm just a little taller than you, Dad."

"Luc!" he yells from downstairs. "You have company."

I curse under my breath. Mason was supposed to stop by today for our project. "Okay," I call back. "Can you come upstairs real quick?"

Moments later, the thud of his heavy shoes strikes the wooden stairs. He peeks in the room and his green eyes find me then lower to what's in my hands. "Hey. What are you doing in here?" He comes to stand by my side and rubs a large hand over my shoulder. "I don't think I've seen you wear a suit...ever."

"Yeah," I laugh and shift nervous fingers through my hair. "I'm going to this stupid dance for Pepper."

"Ah." He chuckles and slides the suit from my grasp. "That makes a lot more sense. She forcing you to dress up?"

I arch a brow. "Is that honestly a real question?"

"Not at all." He holds it up to me and his thin brows shadow his gaze. "Hmm. You're built a little more athletically than me, but you might be able to fit something of mine. If you like, I could help you rent a tux or something."

"Seriously?" My voice rises a little higher than intended. I clear my throat and pocket my hands. "That'd be great."

"Awesome. We'll go tomorrow." He hands the suit back to me. "So, why is Mason here? Isn't that Pepper's boyfriend?"