43 | b a n i s h m e n t

"LUCAS?" I mumble when he picks up the phone

"Hey," he breathes into the receiver. "Where did you go?" Music from the party fades into the background, presumably from him stepping away.

"I'm taking Mason to the hospital." I glance at him in the passenger seat as he swings his jacket sleeves around his fists like a child. "He ate some of those brownies that Rebekah brought and he's kind of losing it."

"Oh, shit. Wait...isn't he on a diet?"

"That's not important right now." I sigh and try to focus on the road and Lucas and Mason, and not the fact that he just told me his parents don't think I'm good enough for him. "I think there might have been something weird in them. I mean, when you get high, you don't act really ditzy, do you?"

"I'm not ditzy," Mason mumbles. "I am very smart. I'll have you know that my GPA is five period zero."

"Don't you mean 4.0?" Jaden wonders.

"No, it's more than that!"

"He's really losing it," I hiss to Lucas, angling away from Mason.

"Well, it depends on who she got it from and if they put anything else in it. Some dealers do that to get you addicted to stronger drugs."

"Oh, no." My heart plummets and I glance over at Mason again. He's poking out his bottom lip and running his fingers down it, making small, childlike noises. "He plays soccer, Lucas. What if he gets in trouble?"

"I mean, I'm sure if he can explain the situation he'll be fine." The reassurance in his voice calms the gradual pacing of my heart. "It could be out of his system by then as well. He's never taken drugs before, so I'm sure it's affecting him a lot harder than it'd affect me. Just in case, have the doctors take a test."

"Okay," I breathe. It'll be fine. He'll be fine. "Thank you."

"No problem. I should be there not too long after you."

"Luc...you don't need to come."

Mason jerks his head to me. "No. No Lucas. I don't like him."

Lucas sighs and the slamming of a door follows. "I'm leaving the party anyway. Plus, you're going to need a ride home."

"Luc-"

"Don't argue. I'm coming too."

"Lucas," I insist, but the line is dead before I can utter another word. "Ugh," I grunt and drop my phone in my lap. Why can't he ever listen to me?

"Is Lucas coming?" Mason asks.

"Nope. He's going home."

"Good." He folds his arms and rolls his head to the side. "I don't want to see you together. I don't like the way he looks at you," he mumbles, voice still sluggish. "I don't want you to fall in love with him."