71 | f u t u r e

HAVING PEPPER BACK IN MY DAILY ROUTINE has been a blessing

HAVING PEPPER BACK IN MY DAILY ROUTINE has been a blessing. Little by little, her vibrant personality returns in sparks of gold like it never left. We've started seeing each other almost as much as we did before. It's like our friendship is budding once again with something old and everything new in the spirit of it.

Our plan of learning about each other's culture has been a series of her coming over with a bunch of classics (movies) that are mandatory for me to watch. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've never seen Friday which made her completely lose her head.

In return, I've taught her about Korean traditions, formalities, and showed her some of our own media. She's also cooked me some of her family meals and talked about the history of them and other things like hair and music that are so important to her. We've accepted that our mannerisms are very different, but that doesn't make either of them better or more ideal. I've talked a little bit about our culture and religion and how arranged marriages aren't too uncommon in my home country.

She still greeted the idea with a sneer and declared that 'some traditions need to be broken.' I would have to agree. While I understand my parent's beliefs and why they are the way they are, having grown up in that lifestyle and only knowing it, I've had the luxury of growing up in the United States where everything is different.

If I hadn't, I never would have met the beautiful girl in front of me who's swaying side to side at the kitchen island as I slide her a hot plate of hotteok.

"They look like pancakes," she notes while licking her full lips. "What's inside of them?"

"Just try one." I slide her a bottle of brown sugar syrup before going off to fix my own plate. "It's a dish my mom likes to reward me with every once in a while."

"Speaking of...where are your parents? Did they clear the area because I'm black?"

A tinge of guilt strikes my chest as I slide into the seat next to hers with my own plate. "Not sure. Dad said he has to make an important trip. Eomma decided to run some errands. I'm sure that means prepare some last-minute gifts for my birthday."

"Hmmm." Pepper squeezes syrup over her sweet pancakes while sticking her tongue out of the corner of her mouth. "Are you excited about tomorrow?"

"Honestly? The only reason I am is because you'll be there."

"Oh?"

"I love Jaden and the guys, but they get pretty rowdy when you put them all in the same place. I just hope I'm not going to have to end up babysitting." I drift my fingers through my hair and glance at her. "I am excited to spend time with you though. I missed it."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that, because I missed it too." Pepper hesitates before cutting into her pancakes and taking a curious bite. Delight shines in her eyes and she shoves another piece between her lips. "Mmm! Dese ah omazin, Maso," she declares over her mouthful.