16 | u n c e r t a i n t y

"MASON HASN'T BEEN AROUND lately, and he's not coming to this little shindig of yours

"MASON HASN'T BEEN AROUND lately, and he's not coming to this little shindig of yours." My mother's detective eyes search my face as she helps me pour bags of chips and trail mix into large blue and green party bowls. "Are you two okay? You didn't get into a fight or anything, did you?"

Guilt consumes me as I prepare the lie before it falls from my lips. "We're fine." I bump her hip with mine on the way to grab solo cups out of the cabinet above her head, a playful gesture that urges her aside and fortifies my carefree illusion. "He's just putting homework first again. You know how he gets."

It's not much of a lie. Knowing Mason, he probably has his nose buried in a book with his favorite focus tunes blasting in his ears — though I'll never understand how anyone can focus with music dancing around their heads. Plus, we are fine. We will be fine. Once Lucas' idea comes in to play, Mason will finally come forward about what's going on between us. There's no point in telling my parents about the breakup if we'll eventually get back together.

Mom heaves a sigh and reaches into the refrigerator to grab liters of soda and sets them on the counter next to the cups. "That poor boy. He really overworks himself sometimes."

"Yeah." I interlock my fingers and stretch my arms out, a distraction from my wavering eyes and uncertain voice. "His parents are pretty strict about his grades."

A look of wonder flowers across my mother's round face and she taps her plump lips. "We haven't seen the Hyeong Rhee's in a while. Maybe it's time we get together again. Homecoming will be here soon, right? We should take you two to dinner."

"O-oh. Nono. Mason already had a special dinner reserved for us that weekend." And Lucas is going to be my fake date. "How about the weekend after?"

"Okay, honey." Mom leans over to smack a kiss against my cheek. "You kids behave while your dad and I are out. No drugs, sex, or illegal activities."

I roll my eyes and flaunt my wrist before my face. "Like I would ever do those things. Sex? Ew. Sounds gross."

Mom snorts and gives me one of those elderly looks that say I was a kid before. "We both know you're not a virgin anymore."

"Shhh." I giggle and push her out of the kitchen, palms and fingers catching the warmth of her wool coat. "Stop before Dad hears."

"Dad hears what?" My father's baritone voice follows right after as he steps into view at the threshold of the kitchen, his burly shape clad in a black coat and scarf to match.

"N-nothing," I squeak and urge Mom into him. "It's a secret surprise."

He arches a dubious brow but scoops an arm around her waist and leans down to plant a kiss on my cheek, scruffy beard scratching my skin. When he straightens up, he fixes me with a stern look and says, "No sex, no drugs, and don't break anything."