21 | f a l l i n g

"WHAT HAPPENED between you and Lena?" I lean against the bathroom sink, watching as Martsia continues to hold back tears

"Nothing happened," she mumbles in a voice stubborn like a child's. She looks at the ground to avoid my stare despite all the concern and compassion I place into it.

"Clearly, something happened. You rarely ever get upset, Martsi."

Her face scrunches with lingering emotions. "She's just overbearing sometimes." She's quiet for a moment as an unbearable weight befalls her shoulders. Her eyes land on me with hesitance before she speaks in the most fragile voice. "Do you think Lena thinks I'm...fat?" her voice trembles around the word and the tears swimming in her eyes intensify until one slips down her rosy cheek.

The very surface of my heart cracks. One step forward and I grab the sides of her face to bring her teary eyes to mine. "Honey, no. You are beautiful and literally perfect."

"I-I've been trying to lose weight," she mutters, gaze sinking to the floor. "Lena is so small and I'm so...I feel so big next to her. I just want to be smaller. Like you and her."

"Martsia." I harden my voice and lift her face again. "No. You don't need to be any smaller. Trust me, you have a huge advantage over girls like me and Lena. We wish we had the curves that you do. Not to mention, you're so healthy."

Despite the fact that Martsia is overweight, I know first hand that her diet is better than mine. I've never seen her put anything in her mouth that isn't designed to be good for her. Yet she's been plus-sized since I first met her.

Martsia sniffs and lets out a giggle. It's weak but an effort nonetheless. "You guys are a little small. I could accidentally break Lena, she's so skinny."

A bubbly laugh lifts from my chest and I nod. "She is. Next time she suggests you eat something, I think you should suggest she take a break from her vegan diet."

"No way." She continues to laugh and rubs her palms into her eyes. "She takes her diet very seriously. She has an entire debate prepared any time anyone brings up anything involving her diet."

"Of course, she does." I land my hands on her shoulders to loosen their tension. "And I'll tell you something else. I know it seems like Lena is overbearing, but she really cares about you. I think you bring out the softest side of her."

"I know she loves me. I just wish she weren't so controlling."

"What is she trying to control exactly?"

"Eh...nothing," she says quickly and shrugs my hands off. "I think I better go find her."

"O-okay." I pretend her complete rejection doesn't stab me in the chest. If it's that important, I'm sure one of them would have said something. "Don't be afraid to talk to me, okay? I'm always here for you."