76 | r e a l i t y

I AM TERRIFIED OF MAN-SOO

I AM TERRIFIED OF MAN-SOO. Rage cloaks his frame in fire. Every word, movement, or glance of his is filled with hatred. I was beyond fearful when he made me pack my things and loaded me in his car. He told everyone to stay and enjoy their weekend without us, but streaks of worry were etched across their faces from his blazing hostility. Amber has texted me over a dozen times worried about me, demanding where Mason is taking me and if everything is okay. I can't bring myself to respond. I've been paralyzed ever since I told him the truth.

The truth.

I've tried to forget. I've tried to push those memories aside, but now they won't go away. They return with a vengeance, continuously replaying every moment that Lucas' body violated mine.

No.

I squeeze my eyes shut and pull my legs up in the passenger seat of Man-soo's car. Nothing happened. Nothing. We just argued and I-

"I'm going to kill that sonofabitch," he growls.

I blink back tears and look at him. Shadows cling to his frame in the night as we drive down the exit to reach our town. My tongue is frozen to the roof of my mouth. My teeth are gated shut. Lucas isn't like that. Nothing happened. It's all a lie.

"I can't believe he would do that to you! It's just sick. He was supposed to be your best friend and he just...he took advantage of you!"

I cower into my seat and hang my head over my knees. Tears streak down my face as my thoughts fade and darkness sweeps over my mind. Thinking becomes an impossible task. Time fractures and shifts as we get too close to his destination.

"Pepper..." He attempts to speak lightly, but his voice is strangled and harsh. "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"Nothing happened!" I cross my arms over my eyes. "W-we shouldn't be doing this. I was fine."

"You were not fine. Look at you. You're panicking. People don't just panic when they're fine."

"You're scaring me," I whisper. "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"It's too late for that. You are hurt. You couldn't even see that bastard or else you'd have a panic attack. That doesn't just happen out of nowhere. He raped-"

"Stop saying that word!" My voice overtakes his.

Man-soo silences. The crunch of snow under his tires takes place of his words. I squeeze my legs tighter, attempting to stop the quivering in my limbs.

"I'm sorry," he whispers as we reach the first stoplight outside of the highway. "I'm being insensitive. I-I don't want to hurt you, but you realize that's what he did, right?"

"It wasn't like that."

"Did you tell him that you didn't want to be with him?"

I hesitate. "Yes, but-"