70 | m e m o r i e s

"PEPPER, STOP

"PEPPER, STOP." Amber's face is flat as a board as I turn around with a light pink dress in my hands.

"But you'd look so cute!"

"Put it back." Lounging across my bed, she points at my closest and glares with enough hatred to set every vibrantly colored cloth ablaze.

I slouch and lower my lips into a pout. "You're no fun. You said I could pick your outfit for your interview and you keep saying no to everything."

"No," she drags. "You begged me to let you raid my closet. I said no. Then you said, You're small just like me," she mocks in a terribly pitchy attempt of my voice, "I bet we wear the same size. I said maybe. You then said, Let's hang out at my place tomorrow. I said sure."

I purse my lips and fold my arms. "I don't sound anything like that."

"You kind of do. Every time you lie, try to be devious, or talk about something you enjoy, your voice gets really high." She rolls over to her back and begins examining her nails. "You also talk really fast when you lie. Sometimes you stutter a lot."

"Okay. Okay. I get it. You're a detective and I'm a bad liar."

"The worst," she chuckles.

"Still, you need to have a cute outfit for your interview with the hot Italian guy. No offense, but none of your clothes are cute interview attire worthy."

"I never said I was going to an interview. Even if I were, it wouldn't be until after graduation."

Despite her bitter tone, I smirk. How would she know that unless she asked about it? Clearly, she's more interested in this summer camp and job than she'd like to admit. "So, just in case you decide to interview at the last minute, shouldn't you have an outfit ready?"

Silence. Amber huffs and glares at her nails. More silence. She drops her hands by her sides and stares at the faded glittering stars on my ceiling.

Come on. Just give in. You know you want to.

"Fine," she exhales and rolls out of my bed. "Only because I could use the money."

"Yay!" I clap rapidly and skip back to my closet. "Okay, so our body types are pretty much identical. Small breasts, short legs, no butt, but a little bit of hip."

Amber runs her hands down her hips then looks at mine. "Your hips are wider than mine."

"Don't worry, that'll change eventually." I snatch down a sundress rich with magenta, blue and green and hold it up to her figure. "It's not pink."