14 | p l a n n i n g

THE FRAGILE FABRIC of my life is shifting, reforming to its original state

THE FRAGILE FABRIC of my life is shifting, reforming to its original state. At least, if I hope hard enough, it is. Lucas kissed Amber and the soft crimson that warms his face is reassurance that what happened between us is being abandoned in the past.

Despite the events of that night, his feelings for her have not wavered. They've remained steadfast like my love for Mason.

We're best friends who made a mistake. Best friends who will assist in the other's triumph in our romantic lives.

We fill our empty classroom with hopes and plans for the future as we wait for the lunch hour to end. I lean my arm across my desk and rest my head against it, watching Lucas as he goes on about kissing Amber and what it means for them. It's cute, his optimism, contagious. It drifts from his excited fingers tapping his desk and pulling the charm around his neck. It falls from his arched lips and glimmering gaze.

"Maybe we can find a way for you guys to go on a date without the exclusivity of being a couple? Help you take things slow," I suggest.

Lucas arches an intrigued brow and cocks his head to the side. "Yeah? How?"

"Maybe we can plan a little get together this weekend? I can invite some people from theatre and you can invite Amber. That way if you ever have a hard time or need my assistance, I'll be right there."

My idea circles around his head and highlights the handsome plains of his face. "Pep, you're a genius."

"But of course." I smile and tap my cheek. "I am your personal Cupid. Free of charge."

He places a heavy hand on my arm and rubs the tension from the muscle. "Hey, will you be okay? Should I find you a date before then?"

"No, I'm fine," I lie. I'm still not entirely sold on the plan to make Mason jealous. It's bad enough that he sees Lucas as a threat. I don't want him to think I have multiple guys lined up to replace him. But then, it would be a blessing to get to the bottom of this game he's been playing with me.

"Look, you're helping me and I'm helping you." Lucas scoots closer, bringing his lavender scent and kind gaze closer. "I know it hurts that Mason broke up with you and found a new girlfriend so soon, but you can't let him take you down like this. Don't give him the satisfaction. He doesn't deserve it."

I turn my face slightly away from him. "I know."

Am I being too optimistic about this situation? Clinging on to a hope that doesn't exist? I want to believe that things aren't as they seem, but perhaps Lucas is right. Maybe I just didn't see the bad in Mason because I loved him so much.

"I just miss him," I whisper and close my eyes. In the darkness I can grasp every moment we shared and never find anything but honesty and endearment.

"Well, if my idea works, you'll get him back eventually. If it turns out he's no good, maybe you'll find yourself a better boyfriend."

"Maybe." No one is better than Mason.