17 | a t t r a c t i o n

AMBER'S NERVOUS LAUGHTER resounds off the empty halls as I tug her into my bedroom

AMBER'S NERVOUS LAUGHTER resounds off the empty halls as I tug her into my bedroom. Three innocent steps to the left guide her to my bed, and she falls back against the mattress in a gentle heap. I'm one second behind her, climbing over her flowery essence as a soft blush colors her fair complexion.

Ocean eyes gaze up at me with innocent excitement. She grabs the front of my shirt but leans her palm into my chest. "Why does it feel like we're doing something wrong?"

"Maybe because we should be heading over to Pepper's...not doing this." I cup the smooth curves of her face and lean down to kiss her.

Honeyed lips play a dangerous game against mine, guiding familiar desires to explode within me like searing fireworks. There is no getting used to kissing Amber. Amber. The girl of my dreams for far too long. She squeezes the front of my shirt and leans into me until there's barely enough room to breathe.

Kissing her is nice. Exciting.

Yet it doesn't hold a candle to the idea of placing my lips against Pepper's again.

She breaks for air and presses her forehead against mine. "I...I don't want to move too fast, but you're such a good kisser," she pants. "I've really been missing out."

"You really have." Why hold back? I run my thumb under her bottom lip before capturing it between mine. "Plus," I add breathily, "I've been dreaming about kissing you since middle school."

She chuckles and scoots back enough to rise in a half-sitting position. I crawl closer, refusing to give her enough room to escape. The uncertain desire in her gaze sends my heart into a series of leaps and bounds. They reflect the fantasies I've had for so long. A dozen girls have sat in this exact position playing the one who is here now.

It's unreal that she's finally mine.

"So...do you still have a boyfriend?" I mumble and kiss the corner of her mouth. "I hope you aren't getting off on cheating." I run my hand down her back and press her closer to me as I place my lips on the curve of her jaw.

"N-no," she sighs. "Elliot and I agreed to stay friends."

"Hmm." Pride crashes against my chest like a wave. "I'm assuming it has nothing to do with me, right?"

"It has everything to do with you. I-I'm finally ready to be your girlfriend." Her blush intensifies and she glances away. "I-if you still want me."

I straighten up and lift her chin beneath my thumb and forefinger. "Of course, I still want you. We'll just have to wait a little while before we get serious."

"Oh?" Disappointment stains her rosy cheeks, but she makes up for it with an understanding smile. "Is there someone else?"

Hesitation pulses through me for a fraction of a second, but I know there's no point in lying. "There is actually. I mean...more of a physical thing and not a romantic thing. It's kind of new and-"