[9] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

I'm sorry for the long wait! Homework and lack of sleep is taking its toll T.T

You will find out next chapter what's wrong with Neil, promise!!!

.:Story Start:.

{I could only see him standing there, his brown eyes widening in shock as I tumbled down the stairs. The image was replayed over and over as I slept, just him with that worried expression on his face...}

I opened my eyes blearily, unsure of what to expect. The last thing in my mind had been James standing a flight below me, his face turned up, his eyes wide as Nicola pushed me. OK, this was good, I hadn't lost my memory.

Now all I saw was a hard, light green-turquoise surface, stained with red. The pain in my head was unbearable, it was throbbing like Landon was bashing his drums in my head. I groaned and rolled over, blinking at the bright light, suddenly dizzy. I vaguely saw a blurred human figure above me, its mouth was moving - wait, it was a he...anyway, his mouth was moving, but I couldn't understand what he was saying.

I frowned and tried to speak, but no words came out, just a second groan. I continued to blink blearily, wherever I was coming into more and more focus each time. The dizziness stopped and I saw the scene clearly.

I was still on the staircase, at the bottom of the flight of stairs Nicola had pushed me down, and people were gathered around me - two teachers, three people I didn't recognize, all adults in fluorescent uniform, paramedics I presumed. A teacher was kneeling beside me - I recognized him as Mr Jenkins, who I got on well with.

I wondered why the teacher was so concerned. He was still speaking, I think he was saying my name. Hearing hadn't returned to me yet. The suddenly, there was a loud 'pop' in my ears and I could hear.

"Liz? Liz?" he was saying frantically. "Can you hear me?"

"Yeah..." I said weakly, trying to sit up. He rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't. That was a nasty fall you had, you're not going anywhere until they've looked at you," I frowned.

"I'm fine, look..." I sat up too quickly and the world span round me. I blinked, disorientated. "Oops..." I muttered, wincing at the pain in my head.

"Exactly," he said, and gently laid me on the floor again. I hated feeling so weak and vulnerable.

The paramedics came over to me and started asking me questions, doing all sorts of paramedic-y stuff. They gave me some medicine to stop the headache and assured me that my nose wasn't broken, although it was bleeding heavily. I knew one thing for certain - I was going to kill Nicola Moore.

Mrs Bush, my English teacher, helped me up and took me to the medical room. Thankfully it was last lesson so I wouldn't have to wait too long. I sat down on one of the sofas and took the plastic cup of water someone gave me gratefully - my head still killed and I was feeling a bit dizzy from my walk.

I relaxed on the sofa, closing my eyes, ready to kill Nicola. I flipped through a magazine and then threw it back on the table - it was only about celebrity gossip, most of which I'd never heard of.

I got bored after around twenty minutes. I pulled out my notebook and started writing, but that did me no good - I had writers block. I wondered when Neil was going to get here, and how he would react - would he be concerned? Or blank, as usual?

The final bell made me jump. I hadn't been expecting it - I had hoped Neil would come sooner. I heard the crowds of people milling past the medical room doors, and wondered, absent minded, if James was out there, and if he had worried at all when I fell down the stairs. Probably not, I told myself. He said he didn't care about me.