[10] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

I know you hate me, just bear with me!! And...we got to double digits!! Thanks for sticking with me, guys :)

.:Story Start:.

I stood there, staring at him, my mouth slightly open, and my mind whirling. I was shell shocked, empty, cold inside, my mouth unable to form any coherent words.

Neil could not be dead. He was my last hope, my last chance at normal life, my father's last hope. He was helping us, making us fit in...this could not be happening. I was suddenly aware that Alex was standing outside in the freezing cold. I swallowed hard.

"Neil...what...no...!" I couldn't believe my ears. I sagged against the doorframe, closed my eyes and forced myself not to cry. Alex stepped inside, closed the door behind him and draped his arm over my shoulder, leading me into the living room.

I sank into dad's armchair, my breathing dangerously fast. Alex frowned.

"Breathe, Liz," he said, resting a hand on my shoulder. I forced myself to do as he said, staring at the floor, trying not to think of all the consequences of Neil's death...

"OK," I said finally, closing my eyes and covering my face with my hands. I suddenly looked up at him, my eyes swimming with tears. I blinked several times and said shakily,

"How did you know where I live?"

"He told us. Me and my mum. He told us everything. He was my father," I stared at him for a moment, then said,

"Oh god, I'm so sorry..." he shook his head, collapsing into the sofa, and looked at me with a sad expression. "It's alright. He must have been your only hope," he said, frowning. "I suppose I should tell you what happened," he looked at the floor.

"If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine..." I replied. I knew what it was like to lose a family member - literally and figuratively speaking.

"No, it's alright, I'll carry on," he said determinedly, and then began. "I'll start from the very beginning, it'll make it easier to understand,"

"N-Neil, your father, James's father and another man were best friends at school - James's dad went out with my aunt." This surprised me thoroughly - my father was friends with James's father AND Neil? "Oh yeah, dad also told James's parents about you - she was confused when he turned up with you, so he ended up telling them. Don't worry, James and the others don't know," he added, seeing the worried look on my face.

"Anyway, your dad had a girlfriend who the other guy wanted," OK, so now my father was the 'main character' of this story? "The other guy was really jealous. Your dad stayed with this girl for ages, but then a few years back he killed her for not coming with him." He shook his head.

"Nutter," I said. "What kind of an arsehole does that?"

"Him, obviously. Well, anyway, he was out to get your dad for a while before realizing his life was already ruined - he was an alcoholic, although neither I nor he knew why. I know you do, you don't have to share it. His work seemed to be done, but then my d-dad started helping yours and so the other bloke went out to get him. He was in the rehab at the time."

"Oh god...that's why James's family were so upset that day it was on the news...it was Mrs Black's - your aunts - brother. Oh my god, I'm so sorry," I said. "I feel awful now," my voice was barely more than a whisper. I felt really sorry for him - and myself, although I knew it was rather selfish of me.

We sat in silence for a minute, wrapped up in our own thoughts. I was hollowed out. Neil, dead, because of my dad...the thought was horrific. If I had looked after myself that day he had come none of this wouldn't have happened.